[Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

[Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Ross McKay
Please help out a dope. I know I've done this before, many times, and
not had a problem, but today... not so much.

Geany built from r4788, Fedora 11 x86-64.

I want to prefix a bunch of lines with something, e.g. spaces or a tab
or, well, anything. Let's say X for the sake of picking an easy example.

Search: ^
Replace: X
Use regular expressions: ticked

Sample text:

example
example
example

Result:

XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX
XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX
XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX

OK, so I tried:

Search: ^(.)
Replace: X\1

Result was the same. Why my brain can't deal with this problem I truly
don't know, because I use RegEx search/replace hundreds of times a day
and yet this just doesn't compute for me. Please send answers or
tablets, I already have alcohol and caffeine :)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Yeah, you just take your pill, and everything will be alright"

Re: [Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Len Philpot
Re: [Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line [ From Geany general discussion list (Ross McKay) on Saturday, March 27, 2010 ]

> Please help out a dope. I know I've done this before, many times, and
> not had a problem, but today... not so much.

> Geany built from r4788, Fedora 11 x86-64.

> I want to prefix a bunch of lines with something, e.g. spaces or a tab
> or, well, anything. Let's say X for the sake of picking an easy example.

> Search: ^
> Replace: X
> Use regular expressions: ticked

I used :

Search for:  ^(.)
Replace with: X\1
Use regular expressions: Enabled

and ...

example
example
example

was replaced by:

Xexample
Xexample
Xexample

Is that what you're looking for?
--
Len Philpot - l e n @ p h i l p o t . o r g   (no spaces)
><>   http://philpot.org/ - http://lphilpot.zenfolio.com
      Read my story: http://www.mostimportantthing.org

Re: [Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Lex Trotman

On 28 March 2010 13:15, Len Philpot <[hidden email]> wrote:
[ From Geany general discussion list (Ross McKay) on Saturday, March 27, 2010 ]

> Please help out a dope. I know I've done this before, many times, and
> not had a problem, but today... not so much.

> Geany built from r4788, Fedora 11 x86-64.

> I want to prefix a bunch of lines with something, e.g. spaces or a tab
> or, well, anything. Let's say X for the sake of picking an easy example.

> Search: ^
> Replace: X
> Use regular expressions: ticked

I used :

Search for:  ^(.)
Replace with: X\1
Use regular expressions: Enabled

and ...

example
example
example

was replaced by:

Xexample
Xexample
Xexample

Is that what you're looking for?
--
Len Philpot - l e n @ p h i l p o t . o r g   (no spaces)
><>   http://philpot.org/ - http://lphilpot.zenfolio.com
      Read my story: http://www.mostimportantthing.org

Hi Ross,

It seems to be a bug in SVN trunk, I can confirm it works with 0.18  and r4577 but not current head.

Lex Trotman wrote:

>It seems to be a bug in SVN trunk, I can confirm it works with 0.18  and
>r4577 but not current head.

Ah, beauty! Thanks very much, I thought I was going insane. It must be
from one of the recent changes that brought us GNU extensions; will read
the docs later when my head is clearer and see whether this is actually
a bug or part of the new feature set :)

cheers,
Ross.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto NSW Australia
"Click me, drag me, treat me like an object"

On 28 March 2010 19:33, Ross McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lex Trotman wrote:

>It seems to be a bug in SVN trunk, I can confirm it works with 0.18  and
>r4577 but not current head.

Ah, beauty! Thanks very much, I thought I was going insane. It must be
from one of the recent changes that brought us GNU extensions; will read
the docs later when my head is clearer and see whether this is actually
a bug or part of the new feature set :)

cheers,
Ross.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto NSW Australia
"Click me, drag me, treat me like an object"

Insanity. its all in your head :-)

Looks rather like a bug, probably an edge case when the found string is zero length, as ^ will be.

Re: [Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Nick Treleaven
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:58:58 +1100
Ross McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Geany built from r4788, Fedora 11 x86-64.
>
> I want to prefix a bunch of lines with something, e.g. spaces or a tab
> or, well, anything. Let's say X for the sake of picking an easy example.
>
> Search: ^
> Replace: X
> Use regular expressions: ticked
>
> Sample text:
>
> example
> example
> example
>
> Result:
>
> XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX
> XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX
> XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX

Should be fixed now in SVN, thanks for reporting ;-)

Regards,
Nick

Nick Treleaven wrote:

>Should be fixed now in SVN, thanks for reporting ;-)

Many thanks Nick, much appreciated. I really must investigate building
Geany on Windows so that I can pick up the latest goodies there too!

cheers,
Ross.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto NSW Australia
"All we are saying

Re: [Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Oliver Krystal
Its really easy.  I have my "server" making the nightly builds.  A stock
copy of mingw will do it no problem, provided that you follow the
instructions on the webpage, its really easy.

The only other thing to warn you about is just make sure you change make
to mingw32-make in the make file and run mingw32-make.  I spent a few
hours trying to figure out why it wasn't working, when I tried that and
it worked fine.  My server has been building the nightly for at least 2
months in this method.

Possible you could rename make.exe to make.somethingelse and
mingw32-make.exe to make.exe, but I haven't tried this, so I really
can't say if it will and what it will do to other build systems.

On 3/31/2010 7:00 PM, Ross McKay wrote:

> Nick Treleaven wrote:
>

>> Should be fixed now in SVN, thanks for reporting ;-)
>>
> Many thanks Nick, much appreciated. I really must investigate building
> Geany on Windows so that I can pick up the latest goodies there too!
>
> cheers,
> Ross.

Re: [Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Thomas Martitz
Am 01.04.2010 02:49, schrieb Oliver Krystal:

> Its really easy.  I have my "server" making the nightly builds.  A
> stock copy of mingw will do it no problem, provided that you follow
> the instructions on the webpage, its really easy.
>
> The only other thing to warn you about is just make sure you change
> make to mingw32-make in the make file and run mingw32-make.  I spent a
> few hours trying to figure out why it wasn't working, when I tried
> that and it worked fine.  My server has been building the nightly for
> at least 2 months in this method.
>
> Possible you could rename make.exe to make.somethingelse and
> mingw32-make.exe to make.exe, but I haven't tried this, so I really
> can't say if it will and what it will do to other build systems.
>
> On 3/31/2010 7:00 PM, Ross McKay wrote:
>> Nick Treleaven wrote:
>>
>>> Should be fixed now in SVN, thanks for reporting ;-)
>> Many thanks Nick, much appreciated. I really must investigate building
>> Geany on Windows so that I can pick up the latest goodies there too!
>>
>> cheers,
>> Ross.

Hint hint: http://nightly.geany.org/win32/ :)

Best regards.

Re: [Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Oliver Krystal
It was actually easier in my situation to do a nightly build.  Plus I
*think* those are cross compiled.  These are native builds.

Plus there's the fact that I'm lame at compiling and wanted to try and
make it work.  Once I got it done, it was easy to batch script it to do
what I needed it to do every night :-)

But, yes, you could use the nightly builds.

Thomas Martitz wrote:

>Hint hint: http://nightly.geany.org/win32/ :)

Duh! Thanks, I forget about those. I don't normally need Windows
binaries but I've been on-site with a client that won't let me plug in
my laptop, so have been running Geany on Windows -- without some very
handy recent additions. Will be nice to have them next week!

cheers,
Ross
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Nobody ever rioted for austerity" - George Monbiot