[Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Alain Aupeix
Hi,

New user of geany (v0.21 under Ubuntu 12.04) , I tried to add a language.
I  started using filetypes.c and adding *.prg to C extensions.
It works.

I then now tried to add a new filetype in filetype_extentions.conf, and
to rename filetypes.c to filetypes.harbour

unfortunately, it doesn't work anymore.

Where do I failed ?

Thanks
A+
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-01-24 12:06) |
HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r143) | Hw.Gui (2516)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Lex Trotman
On 27 January 2016 at 21:23, Alain Aupeix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New user of geany (v0.21 under Ubuntu 12.04) , I tried to add a language.
> I  started using filetypes.c and adding *.prg to C extensions.
> It works.
>
> I then now tried to add a new filetype in filetype_extentions.conf, and
> to rename filetypes.c to filetypes.harbour

You need to read the manual section on adding custom filetypes.

>
> unfortunately, it doesn't work anymore.
>
> Where do I failed ?
>
> Thanks
> A+
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Alain Aupeix
> http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
> http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-01-24 12:06) |
> HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r143) | Hw.Gui (2516)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Alain Aupeix
Le 27/01/2016 12:32, Lex Trotman a écrit :

> On 27 January 2016 at 21:23, Alain Aupeix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> New user of geany (v0.21 under Ubuntu 12.04) , I tried to add a language.
>> I  started using filetypes.c and adding *.prg to C extensions.
>> It works.
>>
>> I then now tried to add a new filetype in filetype_extentions.conf, and
>> to rename filetypes.c to filetypes.harbour
> You need to read the manual section on adding custom filetypes.
Well, I was reading the documentation, and find that for custom
filetypes, the naming convention isn't the same.
I have renamed it filetypes.harbour.conf

But thats always not ok.

I have read the doc
index.html#custom-filetypes

but I don't find what can be wrong.

I have put a prg file and filetypes.harbour online.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/md6tyw1wmxgliuj/Harbour-geany.tar.gz?dl=1

A+
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-01-24 12:06) |
HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r143) | Hw.Gui (2516)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Colomban Wendling
Le 27/01/2016 14:32, Alain Aupeix a écrit :

> Le 27/01/2016 12:32, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> On 27 January 2016 at 21:23, Alain Aupeix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> New user of geany (v0.21 under Ubuntu 12.04) , I tried to add a language.
>>> I  started using filetypes.c and adding *.prg to C extensions.
>>> It works.
>>>
>>> I then now tried to add a new filetype in filetype_extentions.conf, and
>>> to rename filetypes.c to filetypes.harbour
>> You need to read the manual section on adding custom filetypes.
> Well, I was reading the documentation, and find that for custom
> filetypes, the naming convention isn't the same.
> I have renamed it filetypes.harbour.conf
>
> But thats always not ok.

Does it mean you don't see the new language in the "File type" list in
the UI, or that it's not automatically applied to your .prg files?

If the new file tyep doesn't appear at all, it probably means the file
is in the wrong place/has wrong permissions.

If it's not detected automatically, it might be because names are case
sensitive.  if your filetype is named "filetypes.harbour.conf", your
entry in filetype_extensions.conf need to mention "harbour" exactly.

If you get the proper filetype yet no syntax highlighting or anything,
it's probably that you failed to set the lexer_filetype under stettings
in your custom filetype.  Custom filetypes have additional keys you need
to fill in.  (BTW, you probably also want to fill in tag_parser).

Regards,
Colomban
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Alain Aupeix
Le 27/01/2016 15:04, Colomban Wendling a écrit :
> If it's not detected automatically, it might be because names are case
> sensitive.  if your filetype is named "filetypes.harbour.conf", your
> entry in filetype_extensions.conf need to mention "harbour" exactly.
It was the reason
> If you get the proper filetype yet no syntax highlighting or anything,
> it's probably that you failed to set the lexer_filetype under stettings
it was, then, the case ...
Now it's ok
> in your custom filetype.  Custom filetypes have additional keys you need
> to fill in.  (BTW, you probably also want to fill in tag_parser).
What's the purpose ?
Auto-completion ?

I notice too, that with filetypes.c, there were symbols (some were wrong)
But now, no more symbols.

How to activate it ?
How to have a good parsing of functions and variables ?

Thanks
A+
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-01-24 12:06) |
HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r143) | Hw.Gui (2516)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Colomban Wendling
Le 27/01/2016 15:24, Alain Aupeix a écrit :
> Le 27/01/2016 15:04, Colomban Wendling a écrit :
>> […]
>> in your custom filetype.  Custom filetypes have additional keys you need
>> to fill in.  (BTW, you probably also want to fill in tag_parser).
> What's the purpose ?
> Auto-completion ?

Parsing symbols from the file, which populates the Symbols pane, and
yes, is also used for auto-completion purposes (and type highlighting).

> I notice too, that with filetypes.c, there were symbols (some were wrong)
> But now, no more symbols.
>
> How to activate it ?
> How to have a good parsing of functions and variables ?

Well, extracting symbols is done by some C code, so if none of the
existing parsers work for your case, you'll have to write it -- a CTags
parser -- and integrate it.  Harder, but not impossible.

However, if C was (mostly) good, just use tag_parser=C and done.  You
can also try C++, C#, Java, Vala or whatnot, depending on who much alike
your language is similar to one of those ("similar" here having a subtle
meaning of "how well the parser for it handles your language").

Regards,
Colomban
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Adding a filetype

Alain Aupeix
Le 27/01/2016 19:16, Colomban Wendling a écrit :

> Le 27/01/2016 15:24, Alain Aupeix a écrit :
>> Le 27/01/2016 15:04, Colomban Wendling a écrit :
>>> […]
>>> in your custom filetype.  Custom filetypes have additional keys you need
>>> to fill in.  (BTW, you probably also want to fill in tag_parser).
>> What's the purpose ?
>> Auto-completion ?
> Parsing symbols from the file, which populates the Symbols pane, and
> yes, is also used for auto-completion purposes (and type highlighting).
>
>> I notice too, that with filetypes.c, there were symbols (some were wrong)
>> But now, no more symbols.
>>
>> How to activate it ?
>> How to have a good parsing of functions and variables ?
> Well, extracting symbols is done by some C code, so if none of the
> existing parsers work for your case, you'll have to write it -- a CTags
> parser -- and integrate it.  Harder, but not impossible.
>
> However, if C was (mostly) good, just use tag_parser=C and done.  You
> can also try C++, C#, Java, Vala or whatnot, depending on who much alike
> your language is similar to one of those ("similar" here having a subtle
> meaning of "how well the parser for it handles your language").
Thanks, I'll try to do it
A+
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
http://pissobi-lacassagne.pagesperso-orange.fr/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-01-24 12:06) |
HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r143) | Hw.Gui (2516)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Loading...