[Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

[Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

OwN-3m-All
Hi All,

Does auto completion work for anyone running version 1.30?  It used to
work in my old install of 1.28...

When I type function names that are open in other documents, they
don't auto complete.  My settings look correct for auto complete.
Does anyone else have this problem?  I don't think anything is auto
completing for me, but in case it matters, Javascript and PHP are not
auto completing for me.  I think nothing does.

I'm running Geany 1.30 on Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Thanks
OwN

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

Matthew Brush-2
On 2017-03-13 04:53 PM, OwN-3m-All wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does auto completion work for anyone running version 1.30?  It used to
> work in my old install of 1.28...

Works for me with C, C++ and Python, same version but on Ubuntu 16.04.

You could check your preferences, maybe auto-completion got turned off
somehow (Preferences->Editor->Autocomplete Symbols).

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

Works for me for js, c, C++, python, basically everything.

Do you get symbols in the symbols pane?

On 14 March 2017 at 09:53, OwN-3m-All <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does auto completion work for anyone running version 1.30?  It used to
> work in my old install of 1.28...
>
> When I type function names that are open in other documents, they
> don't auto complete.  My settings look correct for auto complete.

Perhaps share them so they can be checked.

> Does anyone else have this problem?  I don't think anything is auto
> completing for me, but in case it matters, Javascript and PHP are not
> auto completing for me.  I think nothing does.
>
> I'm running Geany 1.30 on Windows 7 x64 SP1.
>
> Thanks
> OwN

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

OwN-3m-All
Ok, I found that auto completion works, but it's showing up on the
wrong monitor which I had off.  I have a dual monitor setup that I use
in Windows.  Looks like this:

http://dinofly.com/images/wrong_monitor_geany_autocomplete.jpg

Auto complete is showing up on the left monitor which is super
annoying.  Can I control the position of this?

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

Lex Trotman
Ahh, I had a similar issue.  There was a bug in Scintilla (the editing
component we use) where they got monitors and desktops confused and
the result was autocomplete, calltips and other things came up in the
wrong place on multi-monitor setups.

The Geany maintainer made a fix to Scintilla which works for me, and
its been accepted by Scintilla, so it will be in the next release due
in July.  In the meantime, unless you can compile your own Geany with
the patch I am afraid there is no fix I am aware of except keeping
Geany on the primary monitor.

On 14 March 2017 at 10:44, OwN-3m-All <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I found that auto completion works, but it's showing up on the
> wrong monitor which I had off.  I have a dual monitor setup that I use
> in Windows.  Looks like this:
>
> http://dinofly.com/images/wrong_monitor_geany_autocomplete.jpg
>
> Auto complete is showing up on the left monitor which is super
> annoying.  Can I control the position of this?

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

Lex Trotman
And this is the patch
https://github.com/b4n/geany/commit/174090399483b9e1c469031821284062504a373d

On 14 March 2017 at 11:26, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahh, I had a similar issue.  There was a bug in Scintilla (the editing
> component we use) where they got monitors and desktops confused and
> the result was autocomplete, calltips and other things came up in the
> wrong place on multi-monitor setups.
>
> The Geany maintainer made a fix to Scintilla which works for me, and
> its been accepted by Scintilla, so it will be in the next release due
> in July.  In the meantime, unless you can compile your own Geany with
> the patch I am afraid there is no fix I am aware of except keeping
> Geany on the primary monitor.
>
> Cheers
> Lex
>

> On 14 March 2017 at 10:44, OwN-3m-All <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok, I found that auto completion works, but it's showing up on the
>> wrong monitor which I had off.  I have a dual monitor setup that I use
>> in Windows.  Looks like this:
>>
>> http://dinofly.com/images/wrong_monitor_geany_autocomplete.jpg
>>
>> Auto complete is showing up on the left monitor which is super
>> annoying.  Can I control the position of this?

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

OwN-3m-All
Geany is running on my primary monitor though.  The monitor on the
right is the primary in my case (as shown in the screenshot I sent
earlier).

Strange.  I'll have to figure something out.  Thanks for the
information and help though!

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And this is the patch
> https://github.com/b4n/geany/commit/174090399483b9e1c469031821284062504a373d
>
> Cheers
> Lex
>
> On 14 March 2017 at 11:26, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ahh, I had a similar issue.  There was a bug in Scintilla (the editing
>> component we use) where they got monitors and desktops confused and
>> the result was autocomplete, calltips and other things came up in the
>> wrong place on multi-monitor setups.
>>
>> The Geany maintainer made a fix to Scintilla which works for me, and
>> its been accepted by Scintilla, so it will be in the next release due
>> in July.  In the meantime, unless you can compile your own Geany with
>> the patch I am afraid there is no fix I am aware of except keeping
>> Geany on the primary monitor.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>>

>> On 14 March 2017 at 10:44, OwN-3m-All <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Ok, I found that auto completion works, but it's showing up on the
>>> wrong monitor which I had off.  I have a dual monitor setup that I use
>>> in Windows.  Looks like this:
>>>
>>> http://dinofly.com/images/wrong_monitor_geany_autocomplete.jpg
>>>
>>> Auto complete is showing up on the left monitor which is super
>>> annoying.  Can I control the position of this?

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

Lex Trotman
Oh, wrong use of the term "primary", what I meant was the monitor at
the origin of the desktop coordinates, the top left one.  At least for
me the autocompletes worked correctly on my left monitor and started
to go wrong as soon as the cursor within Geany moved to the right hand
monitor.

Of course as this is a bug I can't guarantee anything, it might purely
have been down to the specific sizes and geometrys of my two monitors.

On 14 March 2017 at 11:39, OwN-3m-All <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Geany is running on my primary monitor though.  The monitor on the
> right is the primary in my case (as shown in the screenshot I sent
> earlier).
>
> Strange.  I'll have to figure something out.  Thanks for the
> information and help though!

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

Colomban Wendling
Le 14/03/2017 à 04:18, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> Oh, wrong use of the term "primary", what I meant was the monitor at
> the origin of the desktop coordinates, the top left one.  At least for
> me the autocompletes worked correctly on my left monitor and started
> to go wrong as soon as the cursor within Geany moved to the right hand
> monitor.
>
> Of course as this is a bug I can't guarantee anything, it might purely
> have been down to the specific sizes and geometrys of my two monitors.

No you're right, the bug is that it'll compute the position in monitor
coordinates, but apply them as if they were screen coordinates.  That
means that it'll always be closest to the origin, that is the top left
corner of the whole screen (which includes all monitors in a
conventional setup).

If it's trouble enough, we perhaps could release a 1.30.1 for this --
and any other thing troublesome enough.

Regards,
Colomban

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

OwN-3m-All
That would appreciated, but I can live with it for now I suppose.

Re: [Geany-Users] Auto Completion Geany 1.30 Not Working

Lex Trotman
Geany 1.30.1 has been released with this fixed.