[Geany-Users] Automatic Uppercasing of SQL Keywords

[Geany-Users] Automatic Uppercasing of SQL Keywords

I looked for an option where SQL keywords would automatically be uppercased but did not find one.

Does such an option exist?

Re: [Geany-Users] Automatic Uppercasing of SQL Keywords

Russell Dickenson
H,

The only option I can think of is to create a snippet for every SQL keyword, so that every time you type a keyword in lower case, it is automatically replaced with the upper case version.

So... if you had a snippet for the SQL keyword "WHERE", you could type "where", press [Tab] and it would then be replaced with the upper case equivalent.

On 20 May 2016 at 06:51, H <[hidden email]> wrote:
I looked for an option where SQL keywords would automatically be uppercased but did not find one.

Does such an option exist?

Re: [Geany-Users] Automatic Uppercasing of SQL Keywords

On 20 May 2016 at 06:51, H <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I looked for an option where SQL keywords would automatically be uppercased
> but did not find one.
>
> Does such an option exist?

Not in Geany itself, you could check out plugins
(http://plugins.geany.org/) but doubt that either.

Re: [Geany-Users] Automatic Uppercasing of SQL Keywords

Abel
Well, maybe you can just program a simple script to do so and call it from geany when pressing build button for example.

Re: [Geany-Users] Automatic Uppercasing of SQL Keywords

Frank Lanitz
On 19.05.2016 23:02, Abel wrote:
> Well, maybe you can just program a simple script to do so and call it
> from geany when pressing build button for example.

Yes. This is what I would recommend too. This could be done also via
GeanyPy as a mini-Plugin while typing without writing to much code.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: [Geany-Users] Automatic Uppercasing of SQL Keywords

Colomban Wendling
Le 20/05/2016 à 08:06, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
> On 19.05.2016 23:02, Abel wrote:
>> Well, maybe you can just program a simple script to do so and call it
>> from geany when pressing build button for example.
>
> Yes. This is what I would recommend too. This could be done also via
> GeanyPy as a mini-Plugin while typing without writing to much code.

Indeed, or as a C plugin for someone comfortable with C.  However,
beware live modifications on the buffer responding to direct
typing/modification: you need to be very careful not to to it wrong or
it'll get on the way a lot:

* don't mess with undo (e.g. NEVER perform any action in response to an
undo, otherwise it'll be impossible to actually undo)
* try never to get false positives: don't uppercase something that
wasn't actually a keyword, event if e.g. it temporarily is: imagine a
table named `whereismydog`: you don't want to uppercase WHERE, although
it really is a keyword when you initially typed it.
* etc.