[Geany-Users] CString Class

Charles Miller
As a long time Visual Studio C++ developer, I made heavy use of the
CString class.  I am now learning to use Geany on Windows as a
development platform with the intent of then moving the source code to a
Raspberry Pi 3 and re-compiling it there under the RPi version of Geany.

So, is there a CString class available for Geany?

--
Charlie Miller

Re: [Geany-Users] CString Class

Matthew Brush-2
On 2017-05-23 01:29 PM, Charles Miller wrote:
> As a long time Visual Studio C++ developer, I made heavy use of the
> CString class.  I am now learning to use Geany on Windows as a
> development platform with the intent of then moving the source code to a
> Raspberry Pi 3 and re-compiling it there under the RPi version of Geany.
>
> So, is there a CString class available for Geany?

Hi,

It's not really related to Geany since it doesn't provide any libraries
or such. I assume you can still use MFC with Geany as it's agnostic to
build system related issues, you just have to put the correct build
commands (it doesn't have fancy project templates and stuff like VS
does). If you go the Windows-specific route, you probably want to write
an NMake file to drive cl.exe and link.exe to use from Geany's build
commands.

If your Raspberry Pi runs Linux, and just in general anyway, you might
be better off use the regular C++ standard library classes like
std::string, std::u16string, etc. as they are portable across most
systems (esp. linux, windows, macos, bsd, etc).

If you're looking for a more user-friendly string class that uses UTF-16
encoding (as I assume MFC does), you could try QString from the Qt
library, which is also portable across popular platforms, though Qt is a
bit heavy if all you need is its string class.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

On 24 May 2017 at 06:29, Charles Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a long time Visual Studio C++ developer, I made heavy use of the CString
> class.  I am now learning to use Geany on Windows as a development platform
> with the intent of then moving the source code to a Raspberry Pi 3 and
> re-compiling it there under the RPi version of Geany.
>
> So, is there a CString class available for Geany?

Geany does not control what libraries are available to your code,
thats totally dependent on the platform you use.  So the question is,
is Cstring available in a library on both Windows and RPi independent
of Geany.

Since Cstring is part of the Microsoft Foundation Class library[1] (so
its not actually part of visual studio either) and I doubt MFC is
available on RPi since RPi runs a Linux derived operating system.  You
may have success with emulators like Wine.

[1] from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa300688(v=vs.60).aspx