[Geany-Users] Copy and paste files?

Chris Spencer
Is there a plugin that allows the one of the sidebar tabs to support copying and pasting files? Neither the "project" nor "tree browser" nor "files" nor "documents" tabs seem to have this ability.

Re: [Geany-Users] Copy and paste files?

Lex Trotman
On 9 May 2017 at 01:34, Chris Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a plugin that allows the one of the sidebar tabs to support copying
> and pasting files? Neither the "project" nor "tree browser" nor "files" nor
> "documents" tabs seem to have this ability.

No.  Its called the file manager, and comes with your operating system.

[Disclaimer: its one of my pet peeves that people expect us to waste
time duplicating system functions, others disagree, YMMV]

PS Such file management operations made sense as part of refactoring
functions in tightly integrated IDEs like Eclipse which managed the
build.  But Geany is a lightweight IDE and is not integrated to that
extent.

Re: [Geany-Users] Copy and paste files?

Matthew Brush-2
On 2017-05-08 02:54 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:

> On 9 May 2017 at 01:34, Chris Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there a plugin that allows the one of the sidebar tabs to support copying
>> and pasting files? Neither the "project" nor "tree browser" nor "files" nor
>> "documents" tabs seem to have this ability.
>
> No.  Its called the file manager, and comes with your operating system.
>
> [Disclaimer: its one of my pet peeves that people expect us to waste
> time duplicating system functions, others disagree, YMMV]

I disagree. All current OSes, including most popular Linux distros, have
horrible file managers (ie. no explorer tree, annoying UIs, crippled
features, etc).

Also it's incredibly handy to have file management right at your
fingertips without having to context switch into the OS and fumble with
whatever that platform tries to pass off as a file manager. Managing
files is a huge part of working with a source base, and IMO is
completely appropriate to have available in an IDE (presumably why all
IDEs have some form of file management).

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Copy and paste files?

Robert Fekete
I use the terminal at the bottom of geany :)
It's awesome, and if you absolutely need a better file manager, you can even run midnight commander in it.

Re: [Geany-Users] Copy and paste files?

Chris Spencer
That's a really rude response...

This doesn't seem all that unreasonable. The Tree Browser already has "Create new file", "Delete" and "Rename". So you can open a file, copy the contents, create a new file, and paste the contents. Why is having a single content menu shortcut for that so terrible?

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9 May 2017 at 01:34, Chris Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a plugin that allows the one of the sidebar tabs to support copying
> and pasting files? Neither the "project" nor "tree browser" nor "files" nor
> "documents" tabs seem to have this ability.

No.  Its called the file manager, and comes with your operating system.

[Disclaimer: its one of my pet peeves that people expect us to waste
time duplicating system functions, others disagree, YMMV]

PS Such file management operations made sense as part of refactoring
functions in tightly integrated IDEs like Eclipse which managed the
build.  But Geany is a lightweight IDE and is not integrated to that
extent.

Re: [Geany-Users] Copy and paste files?

Lex Trotman
Chris,

On 9 May 2017 at 16:59, Chris Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a really rude response...

It wasn't intending to be rude, apologies if it seemed so.

But it was intending to make my personal view clear, and I
acknowledged others disagreed.  And Matthew subsequently posted
another point of view.  Geany is a group of contributors, not a single
homogeneous point of view.

> This doesn't seem all that unreasonable. The Tree Browser already has
> "Create new file", "Delete" and "Rename". So you can open a file, copy the
> contents, create a new file, and paste the contents. Why is having a single
> content menu shortcut for that so terrible?

Well, as I have posted elsewhere I strongly disagree with the whole
idea of file management embedded in the IDE.  That someone has
implemented some of it in an external plugin doesn't change my view
that its a bad idea for Geany itself.

It is essentially a resource sink, there is always "just" one more
function it should do (similar to your request), one more filesystem
type it should support etc.

Maintaining file managers as part of desktops is a major effort, and
duplicating it inside a project like Geany seems stupid when all
systems come with a properly integrated full function file management
capability.  As I said in the PS, if it is part of other added value
that the system file manager does not provide, then it is more
sensible.

However the plugins in the geany-plugins project (like treebrowser)
are maintained by individuals, not by the Geany project.  Provided
that they do not cause issues for Geany users (like losing data or
crashing) they can add whatever functionality they want. You will have
noticed that there are two different project management plugins and
several debugger plugins because different people wanted different
functionality.

Hopefully this longer answer makes clear the distinction between
adding file management functionality to Geany itself (I hate the idea)
and adding it to plugins (ok, fine, if you want to spend your effort
on it).

But the treebrowser plugin currently has no one maintaining it.
Volunteers are welcome.