[Geany-Users] Executing files in Geany on Windows 10 - cmd.exe?

[Geany-Users] Executing files in Geany on Windows 10 - cmd.exe?

Tony MacCabe
Hello,

When I execute a .py file from Geany with default settings, it runs in a
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe window. Is this expected?

I was expecting it to run in some other shell, just like it does in IDLE.

Thanks.

-Python Newbie

Re: [Geany-Users] Executing files in Geany on Windows 10 - cmd.exe?

Enrico Tröger
On 15/02/16 20:07, Tony MacCabe wrote:
> Hello,
> When I execute a .py file from Geany with default settings, it runs in a C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe window. Is this expected?
> I was expecting it to run in some other shell, just like it does in IDLE.
> Thanks.

The described behaviour of Geany is expected and is the same on
non-Windows: the edited file is executed as a Python module.

IDLE just does something else. It seems it runs the module in an
interactive interpreter session.
In theory, it should be possible to do something similar with Geany,
it's probably just a matter of the correct Python interpreter invocation.

However, you probably won't overcome the cmd.exe as the underlying
"terminal".

You can freely change the command Geany executes via Build -> Set Build
Commands.

Regards,
Enrico

Re: [Geany-Users] Executing files in Geany on Windows 10 - cmd.exe?

Karma Kolabor
This is expected behaviour.

I would like to give you a warm advice that will save you lots of time
and in the end you will be very happy: as a developer, switch to Linux
as soon as possible. You will not only spend much less time fighting
the operating system, but you will learn development (not only python)
from a totally different and much deeper perspective.
Good Luck!