[Geany-Users] Geany Debugger Plugin Installation

[Geany-Users] Geany Debugger Plugin Installation

Fez R
Hi

I am a beginner with Python and need help with installation of Geany plugins including the Geany debugger. I downloaded plugins from the Geany website but have no clue on how to install?

I searched the web and saw installation tips talking about configure commands and autotools but have no idea what that means?

Please can someone provide some guidance?

Thanks

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany Debugger Plugin Installation

Lex Trotman
The Geany debugger is built on top of the Gnu debugger which does not
support Python unfortunately
https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Supported-Languages.html#Supported-Languages

Which saves you installing it anyway :)

On 23 February 2017 at 15:39, Fez R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am a beginner with Python and need help with installation of Geany plugins
> including the Geany debugger. I downloaded plugins from the Geany website
> but have no clue on how to install?
>
> I searched the web and saw installation tips talking about configure
> commands and autotools but have no idea what that means?
>
> Please can someone provide some guidance?
>
> Thanks

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany Debugger Plugin Installation

John Yeung
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 1:54 AM, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Geany debugger is built on top of the Gnu debugger which does not
> support Python unfortunately
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Supported-Languages.html#Supported-Languages

Python has its own debugger, pdb. But honestly, if you are a beginner
in Python (as OP claims to be), it will be quite a while before you
need a debugger. Python is the kind of language where you don't really
need many tools like IDEs or debuggers, especially when you are just
starting out. You just need the Python interpreter and a text editor.
It actually already comes with one which is tailored for Python; it's
called IDLE.

I do think Geany is a good general-purpose programming editor, and
it's a fine choice if you want to use it for Python, especially if you
are already using it for programming in other languages.

For people who insist on the full IDE experience with Python,
including debugger, then to be perfectly honest, you should be looking
at PyCharm. For more information about debugging tools for Python, see

  https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonDebuggingTools

John Y.