[Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

12

[Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Peter Popov
Hi All,

Geany seems to be the almost perfect text editor even for a non coder.
It is fast and well organized. Markdown + GeanyPrj + Numbered Bookmarks
and everything runs smooth.

Is there a way to center text on screen? It will still be left aligned,
but the column of text would be something like 60% and centered on
screen or in the window.

Something like this:

http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg

Also, is there a way to make the full screen a true full screen and make
everything disappear, including the menu bar?

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Lex Trotman
On 31 May 2017 at 20:00, Peter Popov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Geany seems to be the almost perfect text editor even for a non coder.
> It is fast and well organized. Markdown + GeanyPrj + Numbered Bookmarks
> and everything runs smooth.
>
> Is there a way to center text on screen? It will still be left aligned,
> but the column of text would be something like 60% and centered on
> screen or in the window.
>
> Something like this:
>
> http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg

Not aware of any way of achieving this.

> Also, is there a way to make the full screen a true full screen and make
> everything disappear, including the menu bar?

Everything except the menu can be removed using the view menu.  There
have been various discussions over the years to make the menu
disappear, but the devs are reluctant to add it because of the
problems when people accidentally hide it and then can't discover how
to bring it back.  So far none of the suggestions have been convincing
enough.

> Cheers,
> Peter

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Pedro Albuquerque-2
Em Wed, 31 May 2017 10:57:17 -0000, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> On 31 May 2017 at 20:00, Peter Popov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Geany seems to be the almost perfect text editor even for a non coder.
>> It is fast and well organized. Markdown + GeanyPrj + Numbered Bookmarks
>> and everything runs smooth.
>>
>> Is there a way to center text on screen? It will still be left aligned,
>> but the column of text would be something like 60% and centered on
>> screen or in the window.
>>
>> Something like this:
>>
>> http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg
>

> Not aware of any way of achieving this.
>

>> Also, is there a way to make the full screen a true full screen and make
>> everything disappear, including the menu bar?
>
> Everything except the menu can be removed using the view menu.  There
> have been various discussions over the years to make the menu
> disappear, but the devs are reluctant to add it because of the
> problems when people accidentally hide it and then can't discover how
> to bring it back.  So far none of the suggestions have been convincing
> enough.

Maybe a small warning before entering full screen mode with a hard coded
"bring back" shortcut?
Sorry for disturbing, I'm not a power user in any sense.

Pedro

> Cheers
> Lex
>

>> Cheers,
>> Peter

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Peter Popov
Peter Popov:
> Is there a way to center text on screen? It will still be left aligned,
> but the column of text would be something like 60% and centered on
> screen or in the window.
>
> Something like this:
>
> http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg

but is it possible to make it work like that?

even better: to vertically center on screen the edited line

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

> Maybe a small warning before entering full screen mode with a hard coded
> "bring back" shortcut?
> Sorry for disturbing, I'm not a power user in any sense.

Nobody reads small warnings and its too late after you have hidden the
menu :)  And of course if you know what you are doing the warning is a
pain.

Of course there are some fairly standard sequences like escape for the
Vi-ists and another one for the Sublime-ists and probably something
like M-x-C bring-back-the-menu; or similar in emacs, nobody agrees on
a "standard".

And my feeling is that so long as F1 for help works, people should be
able to read how to bring it back, but to be blunt, it seems that
crashing and then screaming on IRC is the prefered method (in my
experience from another project) so I am not personally really pro
making the menu disappear.

> Pedro
>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Peter

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

On 3 June 2017 at 17:57, Peter Popov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter Popov:
>> Is there a way to center text on screen? It will still be left aligned,
>> but the column of text would be something like 60% and centered on
>> screen or in the window.
>>
>> Something like this:
>>
>> http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg
>
> but is it possible to make it work like that?
>
> even better: to vertically center on screen the edited line

As I said above, I don't believe so.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Eric Crastes
Good morning

If I can make a small suggestion
If you work on Window$, why don't you try an application specially made for this ?
Like http://writemonkey.com/

As far as I understood, it's doing everything you want and it's free

Regards
ericc

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Peter Popov:
>> Is there a way to center text on screen? It will still be left aligned,
>> but the column of text would be something like 60% and centered on
>> screen or in the window.
>>
>> Something like this:
>>
>> http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg
>
> but is it possible to make it work like that?
>
> even better: to vertically center on screen the edited line

As I said above, I don't believe so.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Little Girl
Hey there,

Peter Popov wrote:
> Peter Popov:
> > http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg
>
> but is it possible to make it work like that?
>
> even better: to vertically center on screen the edited line

There are two ways you could hack it:

1) You could use the Extra Selection plug-in:

https://plugins.geany.org/geanyextrasel.html

It allows you to select columns of text. What you would do is open
another file and press the Tab key once followed by any character.
Then select that line, copy it, and paste it several times into the
document so that the document is as long as the one you'd like to
center. Then go into the Tools menu and enable Column Mode in the
Extra Selection sub-menu. Use the Shift and arrow keys at the same
time to select the column of tabs. Copy them. Then go to the
document you'd like to center the text in and paste them in at the
left edge (note that Column Mode doesn't need to be enabled in the
target document). Repeat pasting the column in as many times as
needed to move the contents to where you'd like them.

2) Another way of doing it would be to write a script that uses a
regular expression to insert one or more tabs at the beginning of
every line in the document and then run the script on any document
you'd like to read in that way.

Neither of these are ideal because they require manual user
intervention each time, but both would make the text look like your
example. If you prefer the first method, you could create a template
document that has a very long column of tabs in it so you could open
that, enable Column Mode, select the column, and be in business
pretty quickly.

I've had to do something similar on my Android tablet, because its
keyboard doesn't have a tab key(!), so I have to use hacks to get tabs
into my documents. I can't even imagine a development meeting in which
someone suggests leaving the tab key off as a desirable thing to do
and at least one someone else agrees that that's actually a good
idea, but it must have happened.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Lex Trotman wrote:

> Of course there are some fairly standard sequences like escape for
> the Vi-ists and another one for the Sublime-ists and probably
> something like M-x-C bring-back-the-menu; or similar in emacs,
> nobody agrees on a "standard".
>
> And my feeling is that so long as F1 for help works, people should
> be able to read how to bring it back, but to be blunt, it seems that
> crashing and then screaming on IRC is the prefered method (in my
> experience from another project) so I am not personally really pro
> making the menu disappear.

Maybe a happy medium would be something similar to the way the mouse
cursor disappears after a few seconds when watching a YouTube video.
You could have the menu disappear after a few seconds of inactivity,
but show back up again on *any* activity, so it wouldn't matter what
a user tried, because everything would bring the menu back.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

John Yeung
On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe a happy medium would be something similar to the way the mouse
> cursor disappears after a few seconds when watching a YouTube video.
> You could have the menu disappear after a few seconds of inactivity,
> but show back up again on *any* activity, so it wouldn't matter what
> a user tried, because everything would bring the menu back.

That would defeat the purpose of having the menu go away in the first
place. You don't passively watch a text editor.

John Y.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

John Yeung
On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 6:00 AM, Peter Popov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Something like this:
>
> http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg

So you've already tried WriteRoom (the editor depicted in that image)?
And other editors that bill themselves as "distraction-free"? There
are quite a number of them.

I'm slightly surprised that you would prefer Geany over a whole slew
of editors designed for writers. Not that it couldn't happen. Are you
aware of having an unusual workflow, for a writer? What is it about
Geany that makes you prefer it over a writer's editor? (Genuinely
curious, plus wondering if it wouldn't make sense to see if you can't
get your desired features into one of those other editors, rather than
make Geany look like those other editors.)

John Y.

John Yeung wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:
> > Maybe a happy medium would be something similar to the way the
> > mouse cursor disappears after a few seconds when watching a
> > YouTube video. You could have the menu disappear after a few
> > seconds of inactivity, but show back up again on *any* activity,
> > so it wouldn't matter what a user tried, because everything would
> > bring the menu back.

> That would defeat the purpose of having the menu go away in the
> first place. You don't passively watch a text editor.

You do if you're reading the text. Any time you interact with it in
any way you'd have a menu and cursor, etc. If you stop and read,
everything but the text goes away. It could be an optional setting
that's not enabled by default. I think that's about as close as one
can get to a happy medium on something like this.

Note: Such a thing is not an option I would enable, but I'm a firm
believer in offering users choices, and it's a choice that looks
possible to me.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Matthew Brush-2
On 2017-06-03 01:19 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:

>> Maybe a small warning before entering full screen mode with a hard coded
>> "bring back" shortcut?
>> Sorry for disturbing, I'm not a power user in any sense.
>
> Nobody reads small warnings and its too late after you have hidden the
> menu :)  And of course if you know what you are doing the warning is a
> pain.
>
> Of course there are some fairly standard sequences like escape for the
> Vi-ists and another one for the Sublime-ists and probably something
> like M-x-C bring-back-the-menu; or similar in emacs, nobody agrees on
> a "standard".

In Mousepad, I made it add an editor context menu item to bring it back
when hidden.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Peter Popov
Eric Crastes:
> If you work on Window$, why don't you try an application specially made for
> this ?
> Like http://writemonkey.com/
>
> As far as I understood, it's doing everything you want and it's free

Because Geany does much more.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Peter Popov
Little Girl:
> There are two ways you could hack it:

Hello Little Girl!

Both solutions are very creative. But they both seem to imply that I
have to mess my file by having each line start with a tab.

In my case, the whole text which is broken at 72 chars just like in
emails, should be centered on a (nearly) empty screen. The source is the
same. But the end result looks pretty much like the Reader Mode in Firefox.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Peter Popov
John Yeung:
> I'm slightly surprised that you would prefer Geany over a whole slew
> of editors designed for writers. Not that it couldn't happen. Are you
> aware of having an unusual workflow, for a writer? What is it about
> Geany that makes you prefer it over a writer's editor? (Genuinely
> curious, plus wondering if it wouldn't make sense to see if you can't
> get your desired features into one of those other editors, rather than
> make Geany look like those other editors.)

I don't think there are writer's editors. These are just marketing
labels. Or, from my experience, if there is one, than it is Microsoft
Word by far.

I simply like line numbers. And having the ability to use versioning
from the editor. Or having two files side by side. Or having the same
file open and ready in two places on the same screen. Or a clean list of
open documents to the right side. Powerful find and replace. The ability
to insert the date formated as I want. Case toggle. Minimise to
Notifications. Bookmarks, although I would have liked something closer
to Word with links. Colorschemes.

I would have liked folding. But I am not aware of any text editor smart
enough to do markdown folding. And having the ability to edit somewhere
between half screen and the end of the second third.

Geany is quite low on resources. Surprisingly for its complexity.
Meaning it loads fast and it's quite uninpressed by other apps eating
all the CPU. And while there are even lighter editors, they lack most of
the above.

Peter Popov wrote:
> Little Girl:
> > There are two ways you could hack it:

> Both solutions are very creative. But they both seem to imply that I
> have to mess my file by having each line start with a tab.

Yes, you would have to edit each file each time. You wouldn't have to
save the changes, though.

> In my case, the whole text which is broken at 72 chars just like in
> emails, should be centered on a (nearly) empty screen. The source
> is the same. But the end result looks pretty much like the Reader
> Mode in Firefox.

I was going to say that the tab will indent entire paragraphs
(because it does), but it won't do that if you use Line Breaking. It
sounds to me like you do, because the only way I can figure out to
get Geany to break at 72 characters is to turn that on. As soon as I
do that, the tabs only work on a per-line basis rather than indenting
the entire paragraph. Not only that, but they then stop honoring the
72 character limit, and go over it. Ah, well. It was worth a try.
Good luck, and I hope you find something that works.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: [Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Peter Popov
Little Girl:
> Yes, you would have to edit each file each time. You wouldn't have to
> save the changes, though.

I autosave every 20 seconds. Even do some backups.

Peter Popov wrote:

> Little Girl:
> > Yes, you would have to edit each file each time. You wouldn't
> > have to save the changes, though.

> I autosave every 20 seconds. Even do some backups.

Ah, then you'd have to get around that by copying it to another file,
letting that one save, and leave the unchanged original intact.

By the way, auto-save is dangerous unless you keep incremental
copies of each one. If you mess up and it overwrites the only copy
and you don't have the previous version(s) to shop through for the
pre-messed up state, you're in a bad way.

I don't know if you've ever done NaNoWriMo, but I did my most
glorious writing one day in a stretch of about one to two hours. The
program I was using to write in auto-saved on change (it makes me
feel anxious just to think back on it). I accidentally deleted all
the text. It auto-saved. There was no way to retrieve the data. I
rewrote what I could remember of it, but I could feel that it wasn't
as good the second time around. That's haunted me ever since, and I
make sure and turn off auto-save in all programs immediately before
ever using them.

If I wanted auto-save (which would be a really good idea for times,
like the one above, where you're just plain in the zone and you bang
out some amazing text), I'd write a script to capture each auto-save
the instant the program spits it out and rename it with the date and
time (to the second) and do manual clean-up afterwards.

You probably know all of that already and have a safety valve already
all set up, but your auto-save mention brought back that memory, so I
figured I'd share.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.
rch

    On 06/06/2017 07:26 AM, Little Girl wrote:
    > By the way, auto-save is dangerous unless you keep
    > incremental copies of each one.

    Here the Geany plugin «Save Actions» is invaluable

    Set «Directory to save backup files»
    and «Date time format for backup file»

    and before you know it, you've got NN backup copies

    e.g. My work this morning on a little Perl script
    called "Convert_t2t_to_Docbook_to_ePub.pl" has
    kept 16 backup copies*

     Richard H

 * File list -
    Convert_t2t_to_Docbook_to_ePub.pl.2017-06-06-07-47-56
      (14 lines deleted)
    Convert_t2t_to_Docbook_to_ePub.pl.2017-06-06-08-57-56

12