[Geany-Users] How do I apply visual styling to AsciiDoc markup?

[Geany-Users] How do I apply visual styling to AsciiDoc markup?

Russell Dickenson
I wrote most of my documentation in AsciiDoc, naming files with the extension .adoc. I want to apply styling to the AsciiDoc markup so that I can easily differentiate it from my content.

Operating system: Fedora 25 (GNOME edition)
Geany version: 1.29

I read the Geany manual and did the following steps in a Terminal

1. Navigated to ~/.config/geany/filedefs
2. cp /usr/share/geany/filedefs/filetypes.asciidoc
3. Opened filetypes.asciidoc in Geany
4. Added to the [styling] section the following, copied from the filetypes,markdown file:

default=default
strong=string_3
emphasis=string_4
header1=keyword_1
header2=keyword_1
header3=keyword_1
header4=keyword_1
header5=keyword_1
header6=keyword_1

5. Opened an AsciiDoc marked-up file.

Result?

The header markers in the AsciiDoc file - '=' and '==' and so on do not appear to be styled. The header characters in a sample Markdown file *are* styled.

When I open the example AsciiDoc file, Geany recognises it as such.

I feel I'm missing something simple here, but I can't work out just what.

Re: [Geany-Users] How do I apply visual styling to AsciiDoc markup?

Lex Trotman
You havn't missed anything, simply nobody has written the Scintilla
lexer required for styling Asciidoc.

On 7 March 2017 at 13:24, Russell Dickenson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wrote most of my documentation in AsciiDoc, naming files with the
> extension .adoc. I want to apply styling to the AsciiDoc markup so that I
> can easily differentiate it from my content.
>
> Operating system: Fedora 25 (GNOME edition)
> Geany version: 1.29
>
> I read the Geany manual and did the following steps in a Terminal
>
> 1. Navigated to ~/.config/geany/filedefs
> 2. cp /usr/share/geany/filedefs/filetypes.asciidoc
> 3. Opened filetypes.asciidoc in Geany
> 4. Added to the [styling] section the following, copied from the
> filetypes,markdown file:
>
> default=default
> strong=string_3
> emphasis=string_4
> header1=keyword_1
> header2=keyword_1
> header3=keyword_1
> header4=keyword_1
> header5=keyword_1
> header6=keyword_1
>
> 5. Opened an AsciiDoc marked-up file.
>
> Result?
>
> The header markers in the AsciiDoc file - '=' and '==' and so on do not
> appear to be styled. The header characters in a sample Markdown file *are*
> styled.
>
> When I open the example AsciiDoc file, Geany recognises it as such.
>
> I feel I'm missing something simple here, but I can't work out just what.

Re: [Geany-Users] How do I apply visual styling to AsciiDoc markup?

Russell Dickenson
Lex,

Thank you. I just couldn't work out why it wasn't being applied.

On 7 March 2017 at 14:16, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]> wrote:
You havn't missed anything, simply nobody has written the Scintilla
lexer required for styling Asciidoc.

On 7 March 2017 at 13:24, Russell Dickenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wrote most of my documentation in AsciiDoc, naming files with the
> extension .adoc. I want to apply styling to the AsciiDoc markup so that I
> can easily differentiate it from my content.
>
> Operating system: Fedora 25 (GNOME edition)
> Geany version: 1.29
>
> I read the Geany manual and did the following steps in a Terminal
>
> 1. Navigated to ~/.config/geany/filedefs
> 2. cp /usr/share/geany/filedefs/filetypes.asciidoc
> 3. Opened filetypes.asciidoc in Geany
> 4. Added to the [styling] section the following, copied from the
> filetypes,markdown file:
>
> default=default
> strong=string_3
> emphasis=string_4
> header1=keyword_1
> header2=keyword_1
> header3=keyword_1
> header4=keyword_1
> header5=keyword_1
> header6=keyword_1
>
> 5. Opened an AsciiDoc marked-up file.
>
> Result?
>
> The header markers in the AsciiDoc file - '=' and '==' and so on do not
> appear to be styled. The header characters in a sample Markdown file *are*
> styled.
>
> When I open the example AsciiDoc file, Geany recognises it as such.
>
> I feel I'm missing something simple here, but I can't work out just what.

Re: [Geany-Users] How do I apply visual styling to AsciiDoc markup?

Lex Trotman
And I might add that although Asciidoc has no colouring in Geany, its
better than gedit which determines that my .asciidoc files are C and
so highlights C keywords in text, eg "for" "if" etc

On 8 March 2017 at 10:02, Russell Dickenson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lex,
>
> Thank you. I just couldn't work out why it wasn't being applied.
>
> On 7 March 2017 at 14:16, Lex Trotman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You havn't missed anything, simply nobody has written the Scintilla
>> lexer required for styling Asciidoc.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>>
>> On 7 March 2017 at 13:24, Russell Dickenson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I wrote most of my documentation in AsciiDoc, naming files with the
>> > extension .adoc. I want to apply styling to the AsciiDoc markup so that
>> > can easily differentiate it from my content.
>> >
>> > Operating system: Fedora 25 (GNOME edition)
>> > Geany version: 1.29
>> >
>> > I read the Geany manual and did the following steps in a Terminal
>> >
>> > 1. Navigated to ~/.config/geany/filedefs
>> > 2. cp /usr/share/geany/filedefs/filetypes.asciidoc
>> > 3. Opened filetypes.asciidoc in Geany
>> > 4. Added to the [styling] section the following, copied from the
>> > filetypes,markdown file:
>> >
>> > default=default
>> > strong=string_3
>> > emphasis=string_4
>> > header1=keyword_1
>> > header2=keyword_1
>> > header3=keyword_1
>> > header4=keyword_1
>> > header5=keyword_1
>> > header6=keyword_1
>> >
>> > 5. Opened an AsciiDoc marked-up file.
>> >
>> > Result?
>> >
>> > The header markers in the AsciiDoc file - '=' and '==' and so on do not
>> > appear to be styled. The header characters in a sample Markdown file
>> > *are*
>> > styled.
>> >
>> > When I open the example AsciiDoc file, Geany recognises it as such.
>> >
>> > I feel I'm missing something simple here, but I can't work out just
>> > what.

Re: [Geany-Users] How do I apply visual styling to AsciiDoc markup?

Russell Dickenson
Lex,

Wow... that's a fail.