[Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Chris Spencer
Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement for Eclipse, and I recently discovered Geany. I've installed it and all of it's plugins from the Ubuntu 16 packages, and now I'm trying to understand it's interface. It seems to have most of the features of Eclipse, but a few major things are missing, so I'd hope someone can confirm these are missing or clarify where they are. Specifically:

1. Git integration

Eclipse's eGit plugin allows you to:
a. commit all changes in a project
b. view a graphical diff and resolve merges of all changes in a project
c. see all file changes and conflicts in a project's tree browser via folder/filename icons

Does Geany have a plugin that does this? There appears to a git-changebar plugin, but even though I created a project for my local git repo and enabled the plugin, there doesn't appear to be any git actions shown anywhere, nor is it reflecting any changes that are made. Unfortunately, the git-changebar doc site (https://plugins.geany.org/git-changebar.html) has virtually no documentation on how to use the plugin.

2. Multiple project browsing

I can create an arbitrary number of projects in Eclipse and edit files from multiple projects simultaneously. How do you do this in Geany? I can create and open a project, but I seem to be only able to view one project's files at a time, which is a huge limitation.

3. Project wide file search

Eclipse has a feature to search all files in all projects. I see I can right-click in Geany and select "Find in Files", but this doesn't appear to work. For example searching for the string literal "ss FooBar(" returns no files with matching content and a dozen error messages like:

    grep -nHIiF -- "ss FooBar(" (in directory: /home/chris/git/myproject/src)
    /bin/grep: dir1: Is a directory
    /bin/grep: dir2: Is a directory
    /bin/grep: dir3: Is a directory

Am I missing something? Where are search results shown?

Other than that, Geany performs very well, and if I can figure out how to plug these feature gaps, I'd really like to start using it. Memory-wise alone, it's a huge improvement over Eclipse, which consumes 20% of my 8GB of memory, compared to 0.5% with Geany.

Regards,
Chris

Re: [Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Robert Fekete
Hi,

#1: I think the GeanyVC plugin does exactly that.

Regarding #2:
AFAIK, you cannot do that in Geany, but you can start Geany twice, and open a different project in each instance. Other than that, you can open any file regularly with File > Open. Also, I think there is a plugin that adds a full filebrowser to the sidebar, but I haven't used it yet.

Re: [Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Chris Spencer
> #1: I think the GeanyVC plugin does exactly that.

Yes, I've enabled this, but it seems very primitive and nearly unusable. All actions are under a "VC" file menu, and not accessible in the tree browser, so it's very clunky and difficult to quickly see what's changed. What's there doesn't even seem to work. Selecting a directory in the project tab and then doing VC->Directory->Diff just gives you a status message:

    14:43:54: File /home/chris/git/myproject/src/someotherdir: action diff executed via git.

but it doesn't show you the diff. Also, I had selected `/home/chris/git/myproject`, not `/home/chris/git/myproject/src/someotherdir`, so the command isn't even correct.

> Regarding #2:
> AFAIK, you cannot do that in Geany, but you can start Geany twice, and open a different project in each instance. Other than that, you can open any file regularly with File > Open. Also, I think there is a plugin that adds a full filebrowser to the sidebar, but I haven't used it yet.

I literally have hundreds of projects, of which I'll typically have a few dozen open at any given time, so it's not practical for me to launch dozens of Geany instances. This sucks. I really hate Eclipse, and that's the only real show stopping feature gap.

Re: [Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Chris Spencer
> AFAIK, you cannot do that in Geany, but you can start Geany twice, and open a different project in each instance. Other than that, you can open any file regularly with File > Open. Also, I think there is a plugin that adds a full filebrowser to the sidebar, but I haven't used it yet.

I just tested this, and it looks like you can only create 1 instance of Geany when specifying a project. Launching Geany from the command line (e.g. geany myproject.geany &) will create a one instance, after which further launches will try to re-use the last instance to load a project, asking you to close the first project before loading the new one. Is this a bug? I can't imagine why anyone would want to only work on one project at a time.

A workaround seems to be to just run "geany &", which does allow you can use to launch an arbitrary number of instances, but then you have to manually use the project dialog to open your project.

Re: [Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Matthew Brush-2
On 2017-05-06 09:32 AM, Chris Spencer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a replacement for Eclipse, and I recently discovered Geany.
> I've installed it and all of it's plugins from the Ubuntu 16 packages, and
> now I'm trying to understand it's interface. It seems to have most of the
> features of Eclipse, but a few major things are missing, so I'd hope
> someone can confirm these are missing or clarify where they are.
> Specifically:
>
> 1. Git integration
>
> Eclipse's eGit plugin allows you to:
> a. commit all changes in a project
> b. view a graphical diff and resolve merges of all changes in a project
> c. see all file changes and conflicts in a project's tree browser via
> folder/filename icons
>
> Does Geany have a plugin that does this? There appears to a git-changebar
> plugin, but even though I created a project for my local git repo and
> enabled the plugin, there doesn't appear to be any git actions shown
> anywhere, nor is it reflecting any changes that are made. Unfortunately,
> the git-changebar doc site (https://plugins.geany.org/git-changebar.html)
> has virtually no documentation on how to use the plugin.
>
> 2. Multiple project browsing
>
> I can create an arbitrary number of projects in Eclipse and edit files from
> multiple projects simultaneously. How do you do this in Geany? I can create
> and open a project, but I seem to be only able to view one project's files
> at a time, which is a huge limitation.
>
> 3. Project wide file search
>
> Eclipse has a feature to search all files in all projects. I see I can
> right-click in Geany and select "Find in Files", but this doesn't appear to
> work. For example searching for the string literal "ss FooBar(" returns no
> files with matching content and a dozen error messages like:
>
>     grep -nHIiF -- "ss FooBar(" (in directory:
> /home/chris/git/myproject/src)
>     /bin/grep: dir1: Is a directory
>     /bin/grep: dir2: Is a directory
>     /bin/grep: dir3: Is a directory
>
> Am I missing something? Where are search results shown?
>
> Other than that, Geany performs very well, and if I can figure out how to
> plug these feature gaps, I'd really like to start using it. Memory-wise
> alone, it's a huge improvement over Eclipse, which consumes 20% of my 8GB
> of memory, compared to 0.5% with Geany.

Geany isn't really a replacement for all of the features of Eclipse,
it's more like Vim or Emacs but easier to use and more expected stuff
working out of the box.

One important difference is Geany projects are not like Eclipse/VS
workspace/solutions, they're more like a simple session/collection of
editor settings.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Frank Lanitz
On 06.05.2017 21:45, Chris Spencer wrote:
> I just tested this, and it looks like you can only create 1 instance of
> Geany when specifying a project. Launching Geany from the command line
> (e.g. geany myproject.geany &) will create a one instance, after which
> further launches will try to re-use the last instance to load a project,
> asking you to close the first project before loading the new one. Is
> this a bug? I can't imagine why anyone would want to only work on one
> project at a time.

I hate to point to documentation, but I think you are looking for the -i
switch:

-i, --new-instance
      Don't  open  files  in a running instance, force opening a new
      instance.  Only available if Geany was compiled with
      support for Sockets.

Cheers,
Frank