[Geany-Users] Problem with using Deja Vu Sans in Geany

[Geany-Users] Problem with using Deja Vu Sans in Geany

Samuel Loy
Hi,

I'm using Geany 1.26 "Rosset" on Mac Os X 10.10.5, I'm trying to change my font from the default Courier to Deja Vu Sans.

My problem is that when I select the font and the regular font weight of "book," that all my code displays in bold which is harder to read and it doesn't allow for certain keywords to be bolded as before.

I've googled for solutions and I've tried to read the configuration documentation, and either I can't find the place where the proper font formatting of the default font can be set or I'm not understanding the docs.

 I want to change font primarily because certain unicode characters I'm using don't appear in the Courier, and I like the look of Deja Vu better.

-Sam

Re: [Geany-Users] Problem with using Deja Vu Sans in Geany

Jiří Techet
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Samuel Loy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Geany 1.26 "Rosset" on Mac Os X 10.10.5, I'm trying to change my font from the default Courier to Deja Vu Sans.

My problem is that when I select the font and the regular font weight of "book," that all my code displays in bold which is harder to read and it doesn't allow for certain keywords to be bolded as before.

I've googled for solutions and I've tried to read the configuration documentation, and either I can't find the place where the proper font formatting of the default font can be set or I'm not understanding the docs.

Hi Samuel,

I can reproduce the issue too - unfortunately I doubt it's a Geany bug, it's more probably a bug somewhere in Geany dependencies like GTK or pango which unfortunately aren't very actively maintained for OS X.

There's one possible workaround - when you uninstall the bold variant of the font from the system and only keep the "Book" one, the text isn't bold any more. But depends whether you don't need the bold variant for something else.

Cheers,

Jiri

Re: [Geany-Users] Problem with using Deja Vu Sans in Geany

Lex Trotman
On 4 April 2017 at 06:17, Jiří Techet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Samuel Loy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Geany 1.26 "Rosset" on Mac Os X 10.10.5, I'm trying to change my
>> font from the default Courier to Deja Vu Sans.
>>
>> My problem is that when I select the font and the regular font weight of
>> "book," that all my code displays in bold which is harder to read and it
>> doesn't allow for certain keywords to be bolded as before.
>>
>> I've googled for solutions and I've tried to read the configuration
>> documentation, and either I can't find the place where the proper font
>> formatting of the default font can be set or I'm not understanding the docs.
>

> Hi Samuel,
>
> I can reproduce the issue too - unfortunately I doubt it's a Geany bug, it's
> more probably a bug somewhere in Geany dependencies like GTK or pango which
> unfortunately aren't very actively maintained for OS X.

The problem does not occur using Deja-Vu on Linux (GTK 3.18), so yes
its probably a problem in the OSX version of GTK or fontconfig.