[Geany-Users] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

[Geany-Users] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Matthew Brush-2
Hi all,

We often get contributions for adding custom filetypes to Geany, and we
even have some in the source tree already. We tend to not want to add
them to Geany repo, usually due to limited functionality, or limited
popularity.

I would like to propose that we add a new repository to Github, similar
to geany-themes, where we add any custom filetypes that are useful, but
perhaps aren't up to par or popular enough to add to Geany proper. This
would give a single place to get them all at once (via Git or Github Zip
file download), and also a repo for packagers to use should they want to
provide a package.

Inside the repo we could have the README or some other file cataloging
all the filetypes, along with who contributed them, their status, like
whether tag parsing works, syntax lexing, and such meta info. As a
start, we could add all of the filetypes from the Wiki[0], any useful
ones from pull requests, and even any questionable ones already in Geany
(if there are any). We could also add some shell script or something to
install them into a user's home dir all at once, if that's useful.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[0]: http://wiki.geany.org/config/start

Re: [Geany-Users] [Geany-Devel] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Matthew Brush-2
On 2015-12-19 09:04 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Sounds like a reasonable idea, but it triggered me to ask about
> licenses and copyright. [...]

As a lesson learned from geany-themes project, I suggest we use a single
license for all files. I'm pretty sure there isn't much IP issues with
filetype configurations, but just in case, having a single permissive
license removes all doubt and makes it easier for packagers.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] [Geany-Devel] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Robert Fekete
Sounds like a great idea. +1

Re: [Geany-Users] [Geany-Devel] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Deon Cloete

Please unsubscribe me from the users list

On 2015-12-19 09:04 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but it triggered me to ask about
licenses and copyright. [...]

As a lesson learned from geany-themes project, I suggest we use a single license for all files. I'm pretty sure there isn't much IP issues with filetype configurations, but just in case, having a single permissive license removes all doubt and makes it easier for packagers.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

“To give us feedback on our service levels, please email your comments to [hidden email]"

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Mimecast Unified Email Management (UEM) offers email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast.

http://www.geany.org/Support/MailingList

On 2015-12-21 11:14 AM, Deon Cloete wrote:

> Please unsubscribe me from the users list

Re: [Geany-Users] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Colomban Wendling
Le 20/12/2015 03:11, Matthew Brush a écrit :

> […]
>
> I would like to propose that we add a new repository to Github, similar
> to geany-themes, where we add any custom filetypes that are useful, but
> perhaps aren't up to par or popular enough to add to Geany proper. This
> would give a single place to get them all at once (via Git or Github Zip
> file download), and also a repo for packagers to use should they want to
> provide a package.
>
> […]
>
> What do you think?

Why not, could be useful to some and have more semantic/visibility than
the Wiki.

Tho, the Wiki filetypes also often comes with additional details, like
the snippet for filetype_extensions.conf, or a (possibly useful) build
script for Geany, comments, tips, etc.  Maybe there should be some
similar stuff in a repo with them then, maybe even an automated scritp
capable of altering filetype_extensions.conf and alike?

Cheers,
Colomban

Re: [Geany-Users] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Frank Lanitz
On 01.01.2016 20:28, Colomban Wendling wrote:

> Le 20/12/2015 03:11, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>> […]
>>
>> I would like to propose that we add a new repository to Github, similar
>> to geany-themes, where we add any custom filetypes that are useful, but
>> perhaps aren't up to par or popular enough to add to Geany proper. This
>> would give a single place to get them all at once (via Git or Github Zip
>> file download), and also a repo for packagers to use should they want to
>> provide a package.
>>
>> […]
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Why not, could be useful to some and have more semantic/visibility than
> the Wiki.
>
> Tho, the Wiki filetypes also often comes with additional details, like
> the snippet for filetype_extensions.conf, or a (possibly useful) build
> script for Geany, comments, tips, etc.  Maybe there should be some
> similar stuff in a repo with them then, maybe even an automated scritp
> capable of altering filetype_extensions.conf and alike?
Just a thought without huge reflecting: Couldn't this be done by a
plugin? I mean, a plugin pulling from git repo filetype defintions and
putting it into .config/geany and e.g. pasting snippets into snippets.conf.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: [Geany-Users] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Sayth Renshaw

A plugin is sort of similar to how vscode initial allowed customisation, except they just used a yeoman generator that allowed the user to convert textmate theme bundles to installed vscode themes.

Cheers

Sayth

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 8:49 pm Frank Lanitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01.01.2016 20:28, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 20/12/2015 03:11, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>> […]
>>
>> I would like to propose that we add a new repository to Github, similar
>> to geany-themes, where we add any custom filetypes that are useful, but
>> perhaps aren't up to par or popular enough to add to Geany proper. This
>> would give a single place to get them all at once (via Git or Github Zip
>> file download), and also a repo for packagers to use should they want to
>> provide a package.
>>
>> […]
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Why not, could be useful to some and have more semantic/visibility than
> the Wiki.
>
> Tho, the Wiki filetypes also often comes with additional details, like
> the snippet for filetype_extensions.conf, or a (possibly useful) build
> script for Geany, comments, tips, etc.  Maybe there should be some
> similar stuff in a repo with them then, maybe even an automated scritp
> capable of altering filetype_extensions.conf and alike?

Just a thought without huge reflecting: Couldn't this be done by a
plugin? I mean, a plugin pulling from git repo filetype defintions and
putting it into .config/geany and e.g. pasting snippets into snippets.conf.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: [Geany-Users] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

>> Why not, could be useful to some and have more semantic/visibility than
>> the Wiki.
>>
>> Tho, the Wiki filetypes also often comes with additional details, like
>> the snippet for filetype_extensions.conf, or a (possibly useful) build
>> script for Geany, comments, tips, etc.  Maybe there should be some
>> similar stuff in a repo with them then, maybe even an automated scritp
>> capable of altering filetype_extensions.conf and alike?
>
> Just a thought without huge reflecting: Couldn't this be done by a
> plugin? I mean, a plugin pulling from git repo filetype defintions and
> putting it into .config/geany and e.g. pasting snippets into snippets.conf.

On thinking about it some more, a repository is not very user friendly
for getting just a few files from, and a user would usually only want
those for a single language.  Its either get all by cloning the repo
or a single file at a time from github.

So yeah a plugin that grabs all the files in a directory and applies
the patches locally would be a good thing.

Thomas and Matthew seem to be converging on getting upstream Geanypy
adapted to the new plugin architecture, hopefully it will be added to
Geany-Plugins by 1.27 and then this could be a first use.  Running Git
from Python will be much easier than from C :)