[Geany-Users] Regarding sorting of functions and variables by appearance

[Geany-Users] Regarding sorting of functions and variables by appearance

Ongun Arısev
Hello everyone,

I am using Geany 1.25 both on Windows 7 64-bit Professional and Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS 64-bit. My aim is to always for the symbols pane according to the order in which they appear; however, when I quit Geany and open it again I notice that it is ordered alphabetically. How can I change this default behaviour there is no setting in the preferences?

Best regards,

Ongun Arısev

Menu.png (9K) Download Attachment
Geany.png (133K) Download Attachment

Re: [Geany-Users] Regarding sorting of functions and variables by appearance

Jiří Techet
On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Ongun Arısev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am using Geany 1.25 both on Windows 7 64-bit Professional and Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS 64-bit. My aim is to always for the symbols pane according to the order in which they appear; however, when I quit Geany and open it again I notice that it is ordered alphabetically. How can I change this default behaviour there is no setting in the preferences?

Best regards,

Ongun Arısev

Hi Ongun,

I also prefer sorting by name by default and created a patch adding a preference option here

If others like it, it could be merged to Geany.

Cheers,

Jiri

Re: [Geany-Users] Regarding sorting of functions and variables by appearance

Ongun Arısev
Hi Jiri,

Thanks for the reply, but I do not know how to install that plugin. By the way is it possible to make Geany only record the previous sorting scheme so that it is restored upon startup?

Ongun Arısev

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Ongun Arısev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jiri,

Thanks for the reply, but I do not know how to install that plugin. By the way is it possible to make Geany only record the previous sorting scheme so that it is restored upon startup?

It's actually not a plugin, it's a patch that adds this feature directly to Geany but it hasn't been merged yet so it isn't part of Geany yet.

It will let you specify the default ordering when a document is opened - i.e. either by name or by occurrence.

Cheers,

Jiri

Re: [Geany-Users] Regarding sorting of functions and variables by appearance

Little Girl
Hey there,

Jiří Techet wrote:
> Ongun Arısev wrote:

> > Thanks for the reply, but I do not know how to install that
> > plugin. By the way is it possible to make Geany only record the
> > previous sorting scheme so that it is restored upon startup?
>
> It's actually not a plugin, it's a patch that adds this feature
> directly to Geany but it hasn't been merged yet so it isn't part of
> Geany yet.
>
> It will let you specify the default ordering when a document is
> opened - i.e. either by name or by occurrence.

This sounds wonderful! I, too, prefer to sort them by occurrence
since it helps me to visualize the structure of the code. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: [Geany-Users] Regarding sorting of functions and variables by appearance

Ongun Arısev
Dear Jiri,

Hello again I downloaded the modified source code from GitHub; however I was not able to install it on my PC due to problems with ./configure and such? Is there an easier method to get the same effect?

Many thanks,

Ongun Arısev

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Ongun Arısev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Jiri,

Hello again I downloaded the modified source code from GitHub; however I was not able to install it on my PC due to problems with ./configure and such? Is there an easier method to get the same effect?

not right now but as Colomban started reviewing the patch, there's a good chance it'll appear in Geany master soon. Then you will be able to use Geany nightly binaries:

Otherwise the build process is quite straightforward:

./autogen.sh --disable-html-docs && make && sudo make install

For this to work you need all the necessary dependencies which you can get easily on a debian-based system using

sudo apt-get build-dep geany

Cheers,

Jiri