[Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

[Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Asif Aaron Amin
All,

When I try to build the latest geany (version 1.29) from source I get the following configure error:

checking for GTK... no
configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.24 glib-2.0 >= 2.32 gio-2.0 >= 2.32 gmodule-no-export-2.0) were not met:

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GLib is 2.28.8
Requested 'gio-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GIO is 2.28.8

Is it possible to get past these constraints besides installing the latest glib libraries? I'm currently using version 1.27 and I was able to build from source flawlessly. I feel bad that I'm not using the bleeding edge geany version anymore. Geany is my favorite text editor and I like to get the new goodies from each new release!

Would it be possible to relax these constraints in future possibly?

If it matters my OS is RHEL 6.

Thanks for all your help

Re: [Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Lex Trotman
On 7 December 2016 at 14:00, Asif Aaron Amin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> When I try to build the latest geany (version 1.29) from source I get the
> following configure error:
>
> checking for GTK... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.24 glib-2.0 >= 2.32
> gio-2.0 >= 2.32 gmodule-no-export-2.0) were not met:
>
> Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GLib is 2.28.8
> Requested 'gio-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GIO is 2.28.8
>
> Is it possible to get past these constraints besides installing the latest
> glib libraries? I'm currently using version 1.27 and I was able to build
> from source flawlessly. I feel bad that I'm not using the bleeding edge
> geany version anymore. Geany is my favorite text editor and I like to get
> the new goodies from each new release!
>
> Would it be possible to relax these constraints in future possibly?

AFAICT Glib 2.32 is needed for the API introspection capabilities that
allows for dynamic plugins, which was added after 1.28.  So it may not
be possible without breaking that capability.  That capability is not
a removable item, so somebody would have to make a pull request to
make it one before older versions would be acceptable.

Note also support for older compilers may not be available in future
releases of Scintilla, so that may also prevent use on very old
distros unless someone wants to do the porting exercise.

> If it matters my OS is RHEL 6.
>
> Thanks for all your help

Re: [Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Matthew Brush-2
On 2016-12-06 08:00 PM, Asif Aaron Amin wrote:

> All,
>
> When I try to build the latest geany (version 1.29) from source I get the
> following configure error:
>
> checking for GTK... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.24 glib-2.0 >= 2.32
> gio-2.0 >= 2.32 gmodule-no-export-2.0) were not met:
>
> Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GLib is 2.28.8
> Requested 'gio-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GIO is 2.28.8
>
> Is it possible to get past these constraints besides installing the latest
> glib libraries? I'm currently using version 1.27 and I was able to build
> from source flawlessly. I feel bad that I'm not using the bleeding edge
> geany version anymore. Geany is my favorite text editor and I like to get
> the new goodies from each new release!

You could change `2.32` here and the next line to `2.28.8` and then fix
what breaks. I think it's not a lot that requires `2.32` [0].

https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/1.29.0/configure.ac#L73

> Would it be possible to relax these constraints in future possibly?

I think it would be a valid Issue[1] to request re-synchronizing the
GTK+ and GLib version numbers. If we only check for GTK+ `2.24.0` then
we should probably only require GLib `2.27.3` like GTK+ itself (debatable).

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/configure.in?h=2.24.0#n34

Most likely a clean patch/pull request to resolve the mismatch would be
accepted.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

[0]:
https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/314a5c180ee6489248e9f94306a53ab623d68178#diff-67e997bcfdac55191033d57a16d1408aR77
[1]: https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/new

Re: [Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Asif Aaron Amin
All,

Thanks for the quick responses! I regenerated the configure script as suggested:

gtk_modules="$gtk_package >= $gtk_min_version glib-2.0 >= 2.28"
gtk_modules_private="gio-2.0 >= 2.28 gmodule-no-export-2.0"

And it looks like most of this compiled!

It failed here however because G_TYPE_KEY_FILE was not defined:
  CC     libgeany_la-geanyobject.lo

I tried hacking up a quick solution by putting this at the top of geanyobject.cc:

#include <glib-object.h>
#define G_TYPE_KEY_FILE (g_key_file_get_type ())

but this caused a linker failure.

libgeany sounds like a pretty important library so there's probably not a way for me to easily get around this.

On 2016-12-07 07:43 AM, Asif Aaron Amin wrote:

> All,
>
> Thanks for the quick responses! I regenerated the configure script as
> suggested:
>
> gtk_modules="$gtk_package >= $gtk_min_version glib-2.0 >= 2.28"
> gtk_modules_private="gio-2.0 >= 2.28 gmodule-no-export-2.0"
>
> And it looks like most of this compiled!
>
> It failed here however because G_TYPE_KEY_FILE was not defined:
>   CC     libgeany_la-geanyobject.lo
>

> I tried hacking up a quick solution by putting this at the top of
> geanyobject.cc:
>
> #include <glib-object.h>
> #define G_TYPE_KEY_FILE (g_key_file_get_type ())
>
> but this caused a linker failure.

Do a search and replace of G_TYPE_KEY_FILE for G_TYPE_POINTER (all in
geanyobject.c I think). The only reason G_TYPE_KEY_FILE is needed is
because GObject-introspection is broken. You might need to pass
--disable-gtkdoc-header to configure script as well.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Asif Aaron Amin
YES! That worked!

I built without the -disable-gtkdoc-header flag and the compile still succeeded! I'm running version 1.29 right now but I'm getting spammed with a massive amount of these messages in the terminal:

(geany:23882): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_closure_ref: assertion `closure->ref_count < CLOSURE_MAX_REF_COUNT' failed

(geany:23882): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_closure_invoke: assertion `closure->marshal || closure->meta_marshal' failed

I'm going to try the configure with -disable-gtkdoc-header to see if that helps....

Thanks a lot! I REALLY appreciate it!

Re: [Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Asif Aaron Amin
I tried disabling all docs with this configure command:

./configure --prefix=$TRIXDIR --exec-prefix=$TRIXDIR --enable-the-force --enable-html-docs=no --enable-pdf-docs=no --enable-api-docs=no --enable-gtkdoc-header=no

I got less warnings but I still get the GLib-GObject-CRITICAL errors whenever I click on anything. Main functionality seem to be working very well however so the errors are a small price to pay for successfully hacking version 1.29 on my RHEL 6 OS.

Perhaps in future releases yall should add this to  geanyobject.c ? (Psuedocode)

#if GLIB_VERSION < 2.32
    #define G_TYPE_KEY_FILE G_TYPE_POINTER
#end

Again thanks for all of your help!

On 2016-12-07 08:38 AM, Asif Aaron Amin wrote:

> I tried disabling all docs with this configure command:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$TRIXDIR --exec-prefix=$TRIXDIR --enable-the-force
> --enable-html-docs=no --enable-pdf-docs=no --enable-api-docs=no
> --enable-gtkdoc-header=no
>
> I got less warnings but I still get the GLib-GObject-CRITICAL errors
> whenever I click on anything. Main functionality seem to be working very
> well however so the errors are a small price to pay for successfully
> hacking version 1.29 on my RHEL 6 OS.

Just out of my own curiosity, do you use RHEL 6 by choice or due to
uncontrollable factors such as being mandated by your employer?

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Asif Aaron Amin
Uncontrollable factors. I work for a government defense contractor that has very strict security guidelines. They're about to green light RHEL 7 pretty soon though so I'll upgrade first chance I get. Hopefully then I won't have to hack geany source code to get it to compile!

On 8 December 2016 at 11:32, Asif Aaron Amin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Uncontrollable factors. I work for a government defense contractor that has
> very strict security guidelines.

And they let you compile and run your own tools?  Or has the Geany
source been audited, that would be cool to know?

They're about to green light RHEL 7 pretty

> soon though so I'll upgrade first chance I get. Hopefully then I won't have
> to hack geany source code to get it to compile!
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Matthew Brush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 2016-12-07 08:38 AM, Asif Aaron Amin wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried disabling all docs with this configure command:
>>>
>>> ./configure --prefix=$TRIXDIR --exec-prefix=$TRIXDIR --enable-the-force
>>> --enable-html-docs=no --enable-pdf-docs=no --enable-api-docs=no
>>> --enable-gtkdoc-header=no
>>>
>>> I got less warnings but I still get the GLib-GObject-CRITICAL errors
>>> whenever I click on anything. Main functionality seem to be working very
>>> well however so the errors are a small price to pay for successfully
>>> hacking version 1.29 on my RHEL 6 OS.
>>>

>> Just out of my own curiosity, do you use RHEL 6 by choice or due to
>> uncontrollable factors such as being mandated by your employer?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Asif Aaron Amin
Yeah we can compile and build whatever we like. The main caveat is all internet access to the outside world has to go through a secure "portal" machine. So to get internet I have to ssh -X to the buffer machine and then ./google-chrome. My development machine itself has no access to the outside world which sucks but it could be worse I guess.

Most of my coworkers use either Geany or Sublime Text. (I'm partial to Geany)