[Geany-Users] Remain open after last close on Mac?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Geany-Users] Remain open after last close on Mac?

Justin Rittenhouse
Maybe I'm imagining it, or maybe I never tested this since moving to a Mac from a Gentoo machine (not by choice), but I could've sworn there used to be an option to keep Geany open after closing the last open document.  I've enabled the "new_document_after_close" preference, but it's not exactly the same.  Did this option disappear at some point fairly recently?  Is this a feature missing from the Mac version?  Am I just crazy?

Thanks,
Justin

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Remain open after last close on Mac?

Colomban Wendling
Le 19/07/2016 à 20:49, Justin Rittenhouse a écrit :
> Maybe I'm imagining it, or maybe I never tested this since moving to a
> Mac from a Gentoo machine (not by choice), but I could've sworn there
> used to be an option to keep Geany open after closing the last open
> document.  I've enabled the "new_document_after_close" preference, but
> it's not exactly the same.  Did this option disappear at some point
> fairly recently?

No, the "feature" (actually, we just don't do anything special here) is
still here, you can close all documents yet Geany will stay open.

> Is this a feature missing from the Mac version?  Am I just crazy?

I don't think it's something voluntarily changed for Mac, but I couldn't
really tell.

However, it might be a bug in some plugin for example that doesn't
handle no document being open and crashes the application… not sure.

Jiří, do you have an idea?


Regards,
Colomban
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Remain open after last close on Mac?

Jiří Techet


On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Colomban Wendling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 19/07/2016 à 20:49, Justin Rittenhouse a écrit :
> Maybe I'm imagining it, or maybe I never tested this since moving to a
> Mac from a Gentoo machine (not by choice), but I could've sworn there
> used to be an option to keep Geany open after closing the last open
> document.  I've enabled the "new_document_after_close" preference, but
> it's not exactly the same.  Did this option disappear at some point
> fairly recently?

No, the "feature" (actually, we just don't do anything special here) is
still here, you can close all documents yet Geany will stay open.

> Is this a feature missing from the Mac version?  Am I just crazy?

I don't think it's something voluntarily changed for Mac, but I couldn't
really tell.

However, it might be a bug in some plugin for example that doesn't
handle no document being open and crashes the application… not sure.

Jiří, do you have an idea?

No idea really - it seems to work fine here, closing the last tab keeps Geany open for me. I would also suspect some plugin or settings but it probably wouldn't be because of a crash; if it crashed, Mac OS would pop up a window with a stacktrace.

Jiri


_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Remain open after last close on Mac?

Justin Rittenhouse
I haven't changed plugins between versions, I'm currently using Addons, GeanyLipsum, GeanyVC, Git Change Bar, HTML Characters, Insert Numbers, Line Operations, XML PrettyPrinter, and XML Snippets.

I suspect I came from 1.26, as I don't have 1.27 in my downloads folder.  Could that make a difference?

Thanks,
Justin

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Jiří Techet <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Colomban Wendling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 19/07/2016 à 20:49, Justin Rittenhouse a écrit :
> Maybe I'm imagining it, or maybe I never tested this since moving to a
> Mac from a Gentoo machine (not by choice), but I could've sworn there
> used to be an option to keep Geany open after closing the last open
> document.  I've enabled the "new_document_after_close" preference, but
> it's not exactly the same.  Did this option disappear at some point
> fairly recently?

No, the "feature" (actually, we just don't do anything special here) is
still here, you can close all documents yet Geany will stay open.

> Is this a feature missing from the Mac version?  Am I just crazy?

I don't think it's something voluntarily changed for Mac, but I couldn't
really tell.

However, it might be a bug in some plugin for example that doesn't
handle no document being open and crashes the application… not sure.

Jiří, do you have an idea?

No idea really - it seems to work fine here, closing the last tab keeps Geany open for me. I would also suspect some plugin or settings but it probably wouldn't be because of a crash; if it crashed, Mac OS would pop up a window with a stacktrace.

Jiri


_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Remain open after last close on Mac?

Jiří Techet

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Justin Rittenhouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't changed plugins between versions, I'm currently using Addons, GeanyLipsum, GeanyVC, Git Change Bar, HTML Characters, Insert Numbers, Line Operations, XML PrettyPrinter, and XML Snippets.

I tried to enable those but still cannot reproduce it. Would you try disabling the plugins to see if there's any change?

What exactly happens in your case - when you close the last tab, Geany completely quits?
 

I suspect I came from 1.26, as I don't have 1.27 in my downloads folder.  Could that make a difference?

It shouldn't matter (I think there was no configuration incompatibility introduced and also the whole app bundle should get replaced). But you could try if default Geany settings helps - close Geany and do

mv ~/.config/geany ~/.config/geany1

This should move Geany's settings to a location where it cannot find it and upon the next start it will create default configuration (you can then restore your original configuration by moving geany1 back to geany).

Regards,

Jiri


_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] Remain open after last close on Mac?

Justin Rittenhouse
I moved my config out of the way, and started Geany.  I closed the default open document, and Geany remained open.  I moved my config back, and repeated the same thing.  Geany remained open.  I tried opening a bunch of files and closing them one at a time (the original case I ran into issues with).  Geany remained open.

Whatever was happening before is no longer happening.  Thanks for looking into it, and suggesting potential fixes.  Consider it a non-issue at this point.

Justin

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Jiří Techet <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Justin Rittenhouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't changed plugins between versions, I'm currently using Addons, GeanyLipsum, GeanyVC, Git Change Bar, HTML Characters, Insert Numbers, Line Operations, XML PrettyPrinter, and XML Snippets.

I tried to enable those but still cannot reproduce it. Would you try disabling the plugins to see if there's any change?

What exactly happens in your case - when you close the last tab, Geany completely quits?
 

I suspect I came from 1.26, as I don't have 1.27 in my downloads folder.  Could that make a difference?

It shouldn't matter (I think there was no configuration incompatibility introduced and also the whole app bundle should get replaced). But you could try if default Geany settings helps - close Geany and do

mv ~/.config/geany ~/.config/geany1

This should move Geany's settings to a location where it cannot find it and upon the next start it will create default configuration (you can then restore your original configuration by moving geany1 back to geany).

Regards,

Jiri


_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Loading...