[Geany-Users] Search in file with Keyboard

[Geany-Users] Search in file with Keyboard

Amir Teymuri
Hello,

when i want to search for a word a do Ctrl+f and the GUI pops up. How can i then search for the next/last matching words in the file without clicking with mouse on the Previous Next buttons of the GUI object? I would like to do the search only with keyboard.

Cheers,
Amir

Re: [Geany-Users] Search in file with Keyboard

James Brierley
On 26/04/16 19:21, Amir Teymuri wrote:
> when i want to search for a word a do Ctrl+f and the GUI pops up. How
> can i then search for the next/last matching words in the file without
> clicking with mouse on the Previous Next buttons of the GUI object? I
> would like to do the search only with keyboard.

Press Alt-N after you’ve typed your search query. At least, that works
for me (on Linux).

--
   * *
  *   *  True patriots are the people willing

Re: [Geany-Users] Search in file with Keyboard

Lex Trotman
By default Find Next is bound to `<primary>g`.  Menu->help->Keyboard
Shortcuts shows a list of current keybindings.

On 27 April 2016 at 04:25, James Brierley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/04/16 19:21, Amir Teymuri wrote:
>>
>> when i want to search for a word a do Ctrl+f and the GUI pops up. How
>> can i then search for the next/last matching words in the file without
>> clicking with mouse on the Previous Next buttons of the GUI object? I
>> would like to do the search only with keyboard.
>

> Press Alt-N after you’ve typed your search query. At least, that works for
> me (on Linux).
>
> --
>   * *
>  *   *  True patriots are the people willing
> *     * to save their country from itself.
> *     * VOTE TO REMAIN ON 2016-06-27.
>  *   *
>   * *

Re: [Geany-Users] Search in file with Keyboard

Matthew Brush-2
On 2016-04-26 05:05 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> By default Find Next is bound to `<primary>g`.  Menu->help->Keyboard
> Shortcuts shows a list of current keybindings.

Unfortunately that won't work as-is since the normal editor keybindings
aren't triggered when the Search dialog has focus, which it gets when
opened with Ctrl+F and keeps event after the Search dialog is activated
to find a match with the Enter key. To use it, you'd have to re-focus
the main window with Alt+Tab or whatever the environment uses for
switching between top-level windows.

For "Find Next" from the Search dialog, you could just keep hitting
Enter and it will find the next matches, for "Find Previous", you could
use Shift+Enter and it will do the same but backwards (same bindings as
the toolbar find entry).

The mnemonics, as James mentioned, are also usable and will trigger the
actual _Next and _Previous GUI buttons inside the dialog. The search
dialogs have mnemonic key bindings for most selectable GUI elements. I
believe some environments don't show the mnemonic bindings by default,
but pressing the Alt key should reveal them.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

On 27 April 2016 at 10:22, Matthew Brush <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2016-04-26 05:05 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> By default Find Next is bound to `<primary>g`.  Menu->help->Keyboard
>> Shortcuts shows a list of current keybindings.
>>

> Unfortunately that won't work as-is since the normal editor keybindings
> aren't triggered when the Search dialog has focus, which it gets when opened
> with Ctrl+F and keeps event after the Search dialog is activated to find a
> match with the Enter key. To use it, you'd have to re-focus the main window
> with Alt+Tab or whatever the environment uses for switching between
> top-level windows.

Correct, I interpreted "keyboard only" as meaning without the dialog open.

The other nice thing is that <ctrl>g works for searches initiated from
the toolbar as well.  In fact I have re-bound <ctrl>f to toolbar
search and almost never use the find dialog.  This provides a
reasonable emulation of modern search as it happens in browsers and
other tools.

> For "Find Next" from the Search dialog, you could just keep hitting Enter
> and it will find the next matches, for "Find Previous", you could use
> Shift+Enter and it will do the same but backwards (same bindings as the
> toolbar find entry).
>
> The mnemonics, as James mentioned, are also usable and will trigger the
> actual _Next and _Previous GUI buttons inside the dialog. The search dialogs
> have mnemonic key bindings for most selectable GUI elements. I believe some
> environments don't show the mnemonic bindings by default, but pressing the
> Alt key should reveal them.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush

>>> Press Alt-N after you’ve typed your search query. At least, that works
>>> for
>>> me (on Linux).
>>>
>>> --
>>>    * *
>>>   *   *  True patriots are the people willing
>>> *     * to save their country from itself.
>>> *     * VOTE TO REMAIN ON 2016-06-27.
>>>   *   *
>>>    * *

Re: [Geany-Users] Search in file with Keyboard

Jiří Techet
On 2016-04-26 05:05 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
By default Find Next is bound to `<primary>g`.  Menu->help->Keyboard
Shortcuts shows a list of current keybindings.

Unfortunately that won't work as-is since the normal editor keybindings aren't triggered when the Search dialog has focus, which it gets when opened with Ctrl+F and keeps event after the Search dialog is activated to find a match with the Enter key. To use it, you'd have to re-focus the main window with Alt+Tab or whatever the environment uses for switching between top-level windows.

I always have General->Miscellaneous->"Hide the Find dialog" on in which case you can just

1. Ctr+F
2. type what you want to search for
3. hit enter - the dialog disappears automatically
4. use keybindings for going to next/previous

Cheers,

Jiri