[Geany-Users] Suggestions regarding the geany editor

[Geany-Users] Suggestions regarding the geany editor

黄昊
Hi,

I have three suggestions regarding the geany editor:

1, The find tag usage may not also include the tag in a comment or should with another color to distinguish
2, The find tag usage may only find the whole word but not just the matched string to make the result accurate
3, The highlight word under the course position may be yellow which is better than purple to make striking

BR
Toby H

[Geany-Users] no printing

Ray Andrews
I've never been able to print from Geany, anyone have any ideas why?
I'm so used to opening docs in other apps for printing that I don't even
think about it much anymore but  I should give it some attention.

Re: [Geany-Users] no printing

Lex Trotman
A bit more information would be useful, like version of geany, your
operating system, gtk versions.  Just post the top 3-4 lines of
menu->help->debug messages as well as the OS version

On 12/28/2015 10:53 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> A bit more information would be useful, like version of geany,

1.23.1, but this goes way back.
>   your
> operating system,

Debian stable and/or testing.
> gtk versions.  Just post the top 3-4 lines of
> menu->help->debug messages as well as the OS version
12:13:49: Geany INFO        : Geany 1.23.1, en_US.UTF-8
12:13:49: Geany INFO        : GTK 2.24.28, GLib 2.44.1
12:13:49: Geany INFO        : System data dir: /usr/share/geany

There's no obvious error, it just prints blank pages.  However ...
fooling around with it again, I find that if I set:

Color > ColorModel: Greyscale
and
Advanced > Ink Type: Black

... then it prints,  but stock settings give only blanks. "Preview"
shows blank pages, so it seems to be related to ink darkness or
something.  The printer obviously thinks it's doing what it should.

However I can only select

Range > All Pages

... never 'Current Page'.

Thanks Lex

Re: [Geany-Users] no printing

Lex Trotman
On 29 December 2015 at 06:55, Ray Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/28/2015 10:53 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> A bit more information would be useful, like version of geany,
>

> 1.23.1, but this goes way back.
>>
>>   your
>> operating system,
>

> Debian stable and/or testing.
>>
>> gtk versions.  Just post the top 3-4 lines of
>> menu->help->debug messages as well as the OS version
>
> 12:13:49: Geany INFO        : Geany 1.23.1, en_US.UTF-8
> 12:13:49: Geany INFO        : GTK 2.24.28, GLib 2.44.1
> 12:13:49: Geany INFO        : System data dir: /usr/share/geany
>
> There's no obvious error, it just prints blank pages.  However ...
> fooling around with it again, I find that if I set:
>
> Color > ColorModel: Greyscale
> and
> Advanced > Ink Type: Black
>
> ... then it prints,  but stock settings give only blanks. "Preview" shows
> blank pages, so it seems to be related to ink darkness or something.  The
> printer obviously thinks it's doing what it should.

The background colour is forced to white to avoid using up all your
ink/toner if you have a dark theme, but the foreground (eg text)
colours are not changed since you might *want* the ones chosen.  Of
course that may get you white text on a white background.

The solution is to select a theme with a light background to print.
There is an enhancement proposal to have a specific theme for
printing, but "somebody" has to implement it.

> However I can only select
>
> Range > All Pages
>
> ... never 'Current Page'.

Thats in the system print dialog (or at least the GTK one) so we don't
control what options it presents.  I guess it depends on the print
driver if specific pages can be selected.

> Thanks Lex

Re: [Geany-Users] Suggestions regarding the geany editor

Matthew Brush-2
On 2015-12-28 1:25 AM, 黄昊 wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have three suggestions regarding the geany editor:
>

> 1, The find tag usage may not also include the tag in a comment or should with another color to distinguish
> 2, The find tag usage may only find the whole word but not just the matched string to make the result accurate
> 3, The highlight word under the course position may be yellow which is better than purple to make striking

You should put Issues for those here (if not already exit):

https://github.com/geany/geany/issues

Without, it might get lost, if other developers are even reading this
user list.

If "find tag" refers to the search/find dialog, #2 is possible by just
checking "Match whole word" check box. For #3, you can change the colour
(but not opacity) by changing the "marker_search" in your colour scheme
or in "filetypes.common". Something like `marker_search=;#ff0` should work.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] no printing

Ray Andrews
On 12/28/2015 02:10 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> The background colour is forced to white to avoid using up all your
> ink/toner if you have a dark theme, but the foreground (eg text)
> colours are not changed since you might *want* the ones chosen. Of
> course that may get you white text on a white background. The solution
> is to select a theme with a light background to print. There is an
> enhancement proposal to have a specific theme for printing, but
> "somebody" has to implement it.

I see.  Well, I hope we get a printing theme then. I do indeed use pure
black as my background, so I take your point.  When I use other apps to
print it does the predictable thing and gives me black print on white
paper, but I can see how that might go horribly wrong if one expects
colored output.  Mind, I don't get anything at all, pure white pages
spit out of the printer.
>> However I can only select
>>
>> Range > All Pages
>>
>> ... never 'Current Page'.
> Thats in the system print dialog (or at least the GTK one) so we don't
> control what options it presents.  I guess it depends on the print
> driver if specific pages can be selected.

Really?  Only Geany has that problem.  Could it be that somehow the
wrong printer driver is being called?  I've often wondered about
that--different apps display different sets of choices as to printer
setup and you'd think they'd be the same for all.  But maybe it's not
Geany's issue, as you say.