[Geany-Users] SyntaxError using Geany editor in Windows 10

[Geany-Users] SyntaxError using Geany editor in Windows 10

Danie Janse van Rensburg
When using the Geany editor:
print(¨Hello Python World¨)
 the double quotation character is replaced aotomatically by ¨ instead of " wich result in the syntax error below
Inline image 2

When typing the same line in Notepad the correct double quotation character is used,
print("Hello Python World")
I can now open the file using Geany and execute it correctly
Inline image 3

The cause of the SyntaxError is clearly demonstrated by opening the file that was created using Notepad, which is the first line below. The second line is typed in Geany and clearly show a different Character used for the double qutation mark
Inline image 4

How do I set up Geany correctly to avoid this Error?

Regards
danie

Re: [Geany-Users] SyntaxError using Geany editor in Windows 10

Matthew Brush-2
On 2016-07-25 09:35 PM, Danie Janse van Rensburg wrote:

> When using the Geany editor:
> print(¨Hello Python World¨)
>  the double quotation character is replaced aotomatically by ¨ instead of "
> wich result in the syntax error below
> [image: Inline image 2]
>
> When typing the same line in Notepad the correct double quotation character
> is used,
> print("Hello Python World")
> I can now open the file using Geany and execute it correctly
> [image: Inline image 3]
>
> The cause of the SyntaxError is clearly demonstrated by opening the file
> that was created using Notepad, which is the first line below. The second
> line is typed in Geany and clearly show a different Character used for the
> double qutation mark
> [image: Inline image 4]
>
> How do I set up Geany correctly to avoid this Error?

It sounds like this Issue:

https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1036

If you can add some info there it might help to diagnose.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] SyntaxError using Geany editor in Windows 10

Danie Janse van Rensburg
Hi  Matthew

Spot On.
By removing the US international keyboard mapping the problem is solved.
Using only the simple US Qwerty as an Input Method under the Windows Display language options works correctly.
Thanks for the feedback
Regards Danie