[Geany-Users] TWiki Lexer / Folder / Highlighter:The From header

[Geany-Users] TWiki Lexer / Folder / Highlighter:The From header

rhkramer
The From header is a multiline header that marks the beginning of a TWiki
record.

The From header is very much like and compatible with the mbox file From
header.  Among other things, it allows TWiki records to be treated as emails
in various other software (specifically, kmail, nmail, and kate (using my TWiki
highlighter)).

An optional "morF" line, the next From header, or the EOF mark the end of a
TWiki record.

There can be non-TWiki record text matter between a morF line and the start of
the next TWiki record, or before the first TWiki record, or between a morF line
and the end of the file.

The first line of a From header:
   * starts with "From" starting at the 1st position of a line, followed by a
space
   * the next entity on the line can be either a single word without quotes,
or a phrase within double quotes
   * the next entity on the line is a date and time in the format:
Wed Jun 24 23:34:59 2011

The From line can be followed by any number of header lines with a format
like:

<keyword>: <text>

A header line starting with 8 spaces is a continuation of the previous line.

For purposes of TWiki (to make the From header work in kmail, nmail, and kate)
that group of lines must include at least one Date: line and at least one
Subject: line.  It may include any number of other <keyword>: <text> lines, or
additional Date: or Subject: lines.

The From header is ended by a blank line.

Here are some examples of From headers (with a sample morF line just to
remember that morF lines exist and must be handled):

From "this is a test" Wed Jun 24 23:34:59 2011
Subject: initial notes
Date: Fri Jun 25 23:34:59 2011

morF

From testing Wed Jun 24 23:34:59 2011
Date: Fri Jun 25 23:34:59 2011

From "this is a test" Wed Jun 24 23:34:59 2011
From: John Doe <[hidden email]>
To: Mary Doe <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri Jun 25 23:34:59 2011

Re: [Geany-Users] TWiki Lexer / Folder / Highlighter:The From header

rhkramer
Oh, I should have mentioned:

   * there is more to fold / highlight than just the From header--I plan to
address more in separate emails

   * a From header marks the beginning of a top level fold, which ends
(currently) at the end of the a TWiki record (either the morF, the next From
header, or the EOF).

   * highlighting: in the kate highlighter, highlighting is as follows (and
I'd like to do it the same in Scintilla / Geany)

      * the word "From" is in a bold red font
      * the word or quoted phrase after From is in the black "normal" font
(the same as all other text)
      * the remainder of that line, and the remainder of the From header
(subsequent lines) is in a pale yellow (i.e., something barely visible)
"normal" font.  Future enhancements might include:
         * rendering all but Date: and Subject: lines in the header as not
visible or similar, and rendering those in the barely visible pale yellow
"normal" font

Notes:
   * When I do something to "break" the syntax of the From header, then the
entire From header (all lines) are rendered in the (black) "normal" font and
are easily visible and editable.

   * The "morF" is always (keep reading) rendered in the  (black) "normal"
font, but when a TWiki record is folded, the morF is not visible because it is
within the fold.

   * By the way, when a TWiki record is folded, only the first line of the From
header is visible, rendered as described above (i.e., red bold, normal, then
pale yellow)

Randy Kramer