[Geany-Users] Terminal

David Topham
I just joined this list and have been a happy user of geany on Debian for a year. Great editor with helpful plugins! One feature I use all the time is the terminal. I noticed that if the terminal gets hung, then I can't kill it without closing geany. i.e. ctrl-c does not interrupt the program that I ran which is hung. If I go to another xterm outside of geany I can kill the runaway process, but that kills geany too! Is there a way to interrupt (break) the terminal and still keep geany open?

Re: [Geany-Users] Terminal

Little Girl
Hey there,

David Topham wrote:

> I just joined this list and have been a happy user of geany on
> Debian for a year. Great editor with helpful plugins! One feature I
> use all the time is the terminal. I noticed that if the terminal
> gets hung, then I can't kill it without closing geany. i.e. ctrl-c
> does not interrupt the program that I ran which is hung. If I go to
> another xterm outside of geany I can kill the runaway process, but
> that kills geany too! Is there a way to interrupt (break) the
> terminal and still keep geany open?

What happens when you right-click and choose Restart Terminal when
something hangs?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: [Geany-Users] Terminal

David Topham
The message window blanks out with just a solid block where cursor used to be; no response to any keys

On Saturday, January 14, 2017, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey there,

David Topham wrote:

> I just joined this list and have been a happy user of geany on
> Debian for a year. Great editor with helpful plugins! One feature I
> use all the time is the terminal. I noticed that if the terminal
> gets hung, then I can't kill it without closing geany. i.e. ctrl-c
> does not interrupt the program that I ran which is hung. If I go to
> another xterm outside of geany I can kill the runaway process, but
> that kills geany too! Is there a way to interrupt (break) the
> terminal and still keep geany open?

What happens when you right-click and choose Restart Terminal when
something hangs?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: [Geany-Users] Terminal

Matthew Brush-2
On 2017-01-14 07:41 AM, David Topham wrote:
> I just joined this list and have been a happy user of geany on Debian for a
> year. Great editor with helpful plugins! One feature I use all the time is
> the terminal. I noticed that if the terminal gets hung, then I can't kill
> it without closing geany. i.e. ctrl-c does not interrupt the program that I
> ran which is hung. If I go to another xterm outside of geany I can kill the
> runaway process, but that kills geany too! Is there a way to interrupt
> (break) the terminal and still keep geany open?

If by hung you mean the application ignores SIGINT instead of exiting,
then Ctrl-C indeed wouldn't work, even in Xterm. If you just mean stuck
as in a "busy-loop", Ctrl-C works here. Can you give an example
script/application that hangs by your definition?

I'm not sure why sending SIGKILL from another xterm to the errant
process would kill Geany though, that sounds weird.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany-Users] Terminal

On 15 January 2017 at 01:41, David Topham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just joined this list and have been a happy user of geany on Debian for a
> year. Great editor with helpful plugins! One feature I use all the time is
> the terminal. I noticed that if the terminal gets hung, then I can't kill it
> without closing geany. i.e. ctrl-c does not interrupt the program that I ran
> which is hung. If I go to another xterm outside of geany I can kill the
> runaway process, but that kills geany too! Is there a way to interrupt
> (break) the terminal and still keep geany open?

Have you got Menu->Edit->Preferences->Terminal->Override Geany Keybindings set?

Re: [Geany-Users] Terminal

David Topham
Yes I have Override Keybindings set...
I just stumbled on a solution though...
when I had used just ps to see the processes before (from another xterm), I could kill the bash shell (but that killed geany too since I was running it from that shell), but I just learned about pstree which showed me there is another bash shell running under geany and that I can kill independently of the first one so geany stays there!

Thanks for all your suggestions;  case closed!