[Geany-Users] The Secondary Selection clipboard is not working!

[Geany-Users] The Secondary Selection clipboard is not working!

ToddAndMargo
Hi All,

Geany 1.2.8

The Secondary Selection clipboard in not working.  This
is a real productivity killer as the cursor keeps
flying around.

[editorial comment] AAAAA HHHHHH !!!!! [/editorial comment]

Where do I go to report this?

Many thanks,
-T

p.s. for those you who don't know what I am talking about,
here is a good video that describes all four X11 clipboards.

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/secondary-selection.html

Re: [Geany-Users] The Secondary Selection clipboard is not working!

Geany uses the GTK GUI toolkit which does not and will not (see
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2016-August/msg00039.html)
implement the secondary selection I'm afraid.

On 06/13/2017 06:30 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Geany uses the GTK GUI toolkit which does not and will not (see
 > https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2016-August/msg00039.html)
 > implement the secondary selection I'm afraid.
 >
 > Cheers
 > Lex

BUMMER !!!

Osmo used GTK and it works.  Let me ask him if he is
using the GTK Tool Kit.

On 06/13/2017 06:01 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Geany 1.2.8

Sorry, I should have given more info:

$ rpm -qa geany
geany-1.28-2.el7.x86_64

Re: [Geany-Users] The Secondary Selection clipboard is not working!

Lex Trotman
On 14 June 2017 at 12:12, ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 06/13/2017 06:01 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>
>> Geany 1.2.8
>

> Sorry, I should have given more info:
>
> $ rpm -qa geany
> geany-1.28-2.el7.x86_64

Thanks, but it probably doesn't matter.

Note that Geany does not just run on Linux X11, it also runs on
Windows and OSX and Linux Wayland all of which do not support the
secondary selection.

Unless it involves almost no effort, its unlikely that code to support
just one backend on one platform would be added even if someone
provided a PR.

On 06/13/2017 07:26 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:

> On 14 June 2017 at 12:12, ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 06/13/2017 06:01 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>>
>>> Geany 1.2.8
>>

>> Sorry, I should have given more info:
>>
>> $ rpm -qa geany
>> geany-1.28-2.el7.x86_64
>

> Thanks, but it probably doesn't matter.
>
> Note that Geany does not just run on Linux X11, it also runs on
> Windows and OSX and Linux Wayland all of which do not support the
> secondary selection.
>
> Unless it involves almost no effort, its unlikely that code to support
> just one backend on one platform would be added even if someone
> provided a PR.
>
> Cheers
> Lex

I would hope after they see you can pop text all over the
place without losing your cursor position, they would jump
at it.  It is EXTREMELY useful.

Did you look at the video?

On 14 June 2017 at 12:55, ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/13/2017 07:26 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:

>>> Sorry, I should have given more info:
>>>
>>> $ rpm -qa geany
>>> geany-1.28-2.el7.x86_64
>>

>> Thanks, but it probably doesn't matter.
>>
>> Note that Geany does not just run on Linux X11, it also runs on
>> Windows and OSX and Linux Wayland all of which do not support the
>> secondary selection.
>>
>> Unless it involves almost no effort, its unlikely that code to support
>> just one backend on one platform would be added even if someone
>> provided a PR.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>

> I would hope after they see you can pop text all over the
> place without losing your cursor position, they would jump
> at it.  It is EXTREMELY useful.

So really what you are after is to be able to paste at a different
position without moving the cursor?  That would have to be added to
the Scintilla (www.scintilla.org) editing widget Geany uses.  At the
moment it only supports paste at the cursor position AFAICT
(http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#CutCopyAndPaste).