[Geany-Users] code completion in geany

Amir Teymuri
Hello,

code-completion in geany doesn't comprehend all the keywords in a
language. For example in python geany shows often keyword suggestions
which come not from python, or when i start typing "print" nothing will
be poped-up as suggestion. Is there a plugin that should be installed to
enhance the code-completion suggestions?

Cheers,
Amir
--

Sent from Debian-Jessie

Re: [Geany-Users] code completion in geany

Colomban Wendling
Hi,

Le 18/07/2016 à 15:43, Amir Teymuri a écrit :
> code-completion in geany doesn't comprehend all the keywords in a
> language. For example in python geany shows often keyword suggestions
> which come not from python, or when i start typing "print" nothing will
> be poped-up as suggestion. Is there a plugin that should be installed to
> enhance the code-completion suggestions?

There currently is no builtin or plugin way to directly auto-complete
keywords.  It's indeed something that would be probably interesting to
have under an option directly from inside Geany.

However, you can easily workaround this by creating a tag file [1]
containing the keyword list for the language you want.

Regards,
Colomban

[1] https://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#global-tags-files --
you probably would want to use the pipe format.

For example, you could do something like that:

$ grep -Po '(?<=^primary=).*$' "$(pkg-config --variable=prefix
geany)/share/geany/filedefs/filetypes.python" | sed 's/ /\n/g' | sed
's/$/|/' > ~/.config/geany/tags/keywords.python.tags

(untested, but should work)

Re: [Geany-Users] code completion in geany

Jiří Techet

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Colomban Wendling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Le 18/07/2016 à 15:43, Amir Teymuri a écrit :
> code-completion in geany doesn't comprehend all the keywords in a
> language. For example in python geany shows often keyword suggestions
> which come not from python, or when i start typing "print" nothing will
> be poped-up as suggestion. Is there a plugin that should be installed to
> enhance the code-completion suggestions?

There currently is no builtin or plugin way to directly auto-complete
keywords.  It's indeed something that would be probably interesting to
have under an option directly from inside Geany.

I've just created a patch doing this here:

Creating TMTag from a keyword is a bit hack but we can reuse quite a lot of code this way.

Cheers,

Jiri