[Geany-Users] search history

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Geany-Users] search history

bendov
I notice in Geany 1.27 (Mint 18.1 repo) it doesn't save search terms.
Which is fine, especially between sessions.

In Geany, I take it there's also no "clear recent documents?"  (you can
set the # of listed recent docs in the config file).

I don't know if it's designed never to save search or "find & replace"
history, or if I edited some file and don't remember it.
There definitely aren't any menu or prefs for "don't save search
history" - or such.

There are no settings in any Geany files to control any of this, that I
see.  It's OK - I'm just surprised.  Most apps save some history and you
have to find a way to delete it, if need to.
If I edited something in Geany's files to not save search history and
forgot what I did, I'd like to see if there's a way to apply it to
Mint's text editor.

In Linux Mint, the default text editor is XED.  I could easily change it
to another editor - even Geany, that doesn't save search history or can
clear it.
XED has no preferences to not save history; no way to clear it.

XED's Search & "replace with" terms are stored in a binary file -
"user."  The only way to delete those entries is using the tool,
dconf-editor, which isn't that convenient on a regular basis.

_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Geany-Users] search history

Lex Trotman
On 24 July 2017 at 07:54, Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I notice in Geany 1.27 (Mint 18.1 repo) it doesn't save search terms.
> Which is fine, especially between sessions.

It saves search terms during sessions though.

>
> In Geany, I take it there's also no "clear recent documents?"  (you can set
> the # of listed recent docs in the config file).

Correct

>
> I don't know if it's designed never to save search or "find & replace"
> history, or if I edited some file and don't remember it.
> There definitely aren't any menu or prefs for "don't save search history" -
> or such.
>
> There are no settings in any Geany files to control any of this, that I see.
> It's OK - I'm just surprised.  Most apps save some history and you have to
> find a way to delete it, if need to.

There are no settings in Geany because it does not save them between sessions.


> If I edited something in Geany's files to not save search history and forgot
> what I did, I'd like to see if there's a way to apply it to Mint's text
> editor.

That would be unlikely, different editors store stuff differently.

>
> In Linux Mint, the default text editor is XED.  I could easily change it to
> another editor - even Geany, that doesn't save search history or can clear
> it.
> XED has no preferences to not save history; no way to clear it.
>
> XED's Search & "replace with" terms are stored in a binary file - "user."
> The only way to delete those entries is using the tool, dconf-editor, which
> isn't that convenient on a regular basis.

If XED uses dconf then it isn't in any way compatible with Geany.

Cheers
Lex

>
> _______________________________________________
> Users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.geany.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/users
Loading...