Quantcast

[Geany] VC on Windows

Murray Collingwood
Hello

I have Geany and GeanvyVC working nicely on my Linux machine.

ON LINUX:
I installed 'git'
I created a clone from my local server.
From Geany I make a change to the file, test, and then right mouse on the file and select "VC Commit" - enter some comments and click 'Commit'

ON WINDOWS (Vista)
I installed 'git bash'
I created a clone from the same local server.
From Geany I make a change to the file, test, and then right mouse on the file and select "VC Commit" - nothing happens.
I try Tools | VC and the Status, Update and Commit options are all grayed out.

From 'git bash' I can change to the directory where the files and repository exist and run 'git status' - it shows me a status but indicates the updates are not ready for commit.  So I ran 'git add {filename}' (which btw I didn't think should be necessary as I didn't do this on Linux).   'git status' now shows the file ready for commit.  Back in Geany there is still no action when I select 'VC Commit'.  'Status' is still grayed out.  Back in 'git bash' I can run 'git commit -a' which commits the change.

I clearly have two problems:

1) Why isn't GeanyVC recognising the git repository.

2) Why didn't the clone add these files to the index? (This is probably better directed at the 'git' forum, I just thought it best to at least mention it here so you know the full picture)

Cheers
Murray

--
Murray Collingwood
Focus Computing

Re: [Geany] VC on Windows

Matthew Brush-2
On 06/09/11 16:38, Murray Collingwood wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have Geany and GeanvyVC working nicely on my Linux machine.
>
> ON LINUX:
> I installed 'git'
> I created a clone from my local server.
>  From Geany I make a change to the file, test, and then right mouse on
> the file and select "VC Commit" - enter some comments and click 'Commit'
>
> ON WINDOWS (Vista)
> I installed 'git bash'
> I created a clone from the same local server.
>  From Geany I make a change to the file, test, and then right mouse on
> the file and select "VC Commit" - nothing happens.
> I try Tools | VC and the Status, Update and Commit options are all
> grayed out.
>
>  From 'git bash' I can change to the directory where the files and
> repository exist and run 'git status' - it shows me a status but
> indicates the updates are not ready for commit.  So I ran 'git add
> {filename}' (which btw I didn't think should be necessary as I didn't do
> this on Linux). 'git status' now shows the file ready for commit.  Back
> in Geany there is still no action when I select 'VC Commit'. 'Status' is
> still grayed out.  Back in 'git bash' I can run 'git commit -a' which
> commits the change.
>
> I clearly have two problems:
>
> 1) Why isn't GeanyVC recognising the git repository.

It might be more that GeanyVC is not recognizing the Git program you are
using.  I'm guessing if you can go into the regular Windows Command
Prompt and use the 'git' command normally, GeanyVC should have no
problems.  IIRC the Git installer has options to install Git proper and
make it findable through the Path environment variable.

> 2) Why didn't the clone add these files to the index? (This is probably
> better directed at the 'git' forum, I just thought it best to at least
> mention it here so you know the full picture)

AFAIK, if you changed a file, you need to add it to the staging area
before its changes can be committed.  Are you saying files you didn't
change were needing to be added, or that in Linux you could change files
and commit their changes them without adding them?

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany] VC on Windows

Murray Collingwood
Hi again

1) Why isn't GeanyVC recognising the git repository.

It might be more that GeanyVC is not recognizing the Git program you are using.  I'm guessing if you can go into the regular Windows Command Prompt and use the 'git' command normally, GeanyVC should have no problems.  IIRC the Git installer has options to install Git proper and make it findable through the Path environment variable.

I reinstalled 'Git' and selected the option 'git available at a windows command prompt'

I can now open a command prompt window and type 'git' and shows a short help message.

Back to Geany - check the plugin settings, all the same, try 'Status' and 'Commit'
The message at the bottom of the Geany window is "GeanyVC: s_spawn_sync error: create process failed"

What do I do with this...???

Cheers
Murray

On 06/09/11 17:58, Murray Collingwood wrote:

> What do I do with this...???

Just to be sure, you did restart Geany after reinstalling Git?  If so or
if that doesn't matter, probably report a bug on the geany-plugins bug
tracker on SourceForge.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany] VC on Windows

Murray Collingwood
Hi Matthew

Does rebooting count?  I'm sure it does.

Getting anything to run on Windows is a challenge!

The experience has been really frustrating (GeanyVC, Git, Networking, ssh, GTK: first off attempting this on Mac OSX and then on Windows).  We have the GIT command line working and we'll muddle along with that for now.  We just need to get back to doing some real work.

Eventually I hope there will be an update to the Windows GeanyVC dll that fixes all this - when that happens we'll upgrade.

Cheers
Murray

On 06/09/11 20:14, Murray Collingwood wrote:

> Eventually I hope there will be an update to the Windows GeanyVC dll
> that fixes all this - when that happens we'll upgrade.

You can increase the chances of that happening by opening a bug report,
or at least sending a message on the geany-devel mailing list, in case
the plugin's developers don't catch this thread.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

Re: [Geany] VC on Windows

Frank Lanitz
Am 10.06.2011 06:32, schrieb Matthew Brush:
> On 06/09/11 20:14, Murray Collingwood wrote:
>
>> Eventually I hope there will be an update to the Windows GeanyVC dll
>> that fixes all this - when that happens we'll upgrade.
>>

> You can increase the chances of that happening by opening a bug report,
> or at least sending a message on the geany-devel mailing list, in case
> the plugin's developers don't catch this thread.

To be honest, as long as there is no patch attached the cahnces for
getting a fix are real small. But would be happy if you (or somebody
else) could send some in.

Cheers,
Frank